Art Journal Inspired 4x6 Art Pieces

I’ve really enjoyed being a part of the Art Journal Craftalong and trying all the new techniques and materials inspired by the videos we try there. Recently, I tried to incorporate some of these concepts and ideas to 4x6 art pieces instead of journal pages.

These are the first ones I did. Very Alisa Burke inspired. The woman’s face is actually my grandma. :slight_smile:

Then, I decided to play with some “blackout” effect. Definitely inspired by an art journal page from Alisa Burke.

And “white out” effect. These were inspired by one of the art journal videos we did. I did one with acrylic inks and a white a spiral:

And acrylic inks and stamped circles. I love the white ink for the lettering on this one:

Two more inspired by a an art journal video. The big circles used scrap paper from other art projects, which was cool and fun. I also decorated circle sticker labels for these.

And one last one just playing around with materials and methods:

I had a lot of fun making these and I can’t wait to play around some more outside my art journal. Thanks for looking!

25 Likes

WOW :heart_eyes: These are all great! I love that you used your Grandma’s face! And that whiteout page with the circles, the vibrancy of the colors is gorgeous :heart_eyes: Seriously impressive, well done!

1 Like

I love your grandma and her hairdos!

1 Like

I also love grandma, and the blackout. And Follow Your Heart, because it’s mine :grin:.

(Side note: I might start a band called Grandma and the Blackouts.)

2 Likes

So fun! Love your grandma and her crazy hair!

1 Like

They are so wonderful and inspiring.

1 Like

I should have made this the title of the thread! Love it! :laughing:

2 Likes

These are all so fun and vibrant. I love them!

1 Like

These are SO COOL! I absolutely love how very Abbie they are, and yet how it’s clear that you’re pushing yourself into new areas. Beautifully done my friend.

1 Like

These are fantastic–they look like something you’d find on the pages of Somerset Studio or Art Journal magazine (is that one still being published?). I really like them all and would be hard pressed to choose a favorite. I think if I HAD to though, it would be the one with the circles and “What we think we become”. Love the sentiments and the whole design of this one very much.

Do you always do your journal pages on separate sheets? I ask because that’s how I prefer to do mine. Then if I hate it/mess it up terribly, I just pitch it or recycle it into future work without “ruining” my journal. :slight_smile:

1 Like

These are fantastic!!! I’m really drawn to the whiteout spiral :star_struck: I know how hard it is to cover pretty paper/masterboards/background/etc but it really draws the eye in to see more of the detail :heart_eyes: I really love it. I actually love them all, but that one just a teeensy more :kissing_heart: Plus how cool to use your grandma’s face! I imagine those feel extra special to you :heart:

3 Likes

@Joywritesbooks - that one is my fave too. :blush: I actually do not usually do art journal pages as stand alone pieces. @geekgirl got me in the habit as she was making one or two smaller “one off” pieces during our zooms and I just copied her. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: If you art journal you should check out the art journal craftalong here - it’s loads of fun.

So hard!!!

2 Likes

Your grandma is a babe! These look like so much fun to make!

2 Likes

These are fabulous! I wish I was more artsy because I love seeing all the fun art journals and wish I could figure out how to do one myself.

1 Like

Haha…thanks @bethntim! :wink:

@Bunny1kenobi - Seriously, jump on a zoom sometime with the Art Journal Craftalong. It’s a great place to start if you don’t know how to! Awesome energy there. :heart:

2 Likes

Maybe I’ll have some time after I move. :grin:

3 Likes

Echoing what @Abbeeroad said, come and join us for the Art Journal zooms! I honestly didn’t think I had an artistic bone in my body before @geekgirl and @AIMR convinced me to try one of the art journal zooms. We follow along with a video that you can preview beforehand and is super low stress. The great thing about the zooms is we’re all there to bounce ideas off of and/or ask questions. The thing I didn’t realize before I started is that a lot of it is about following the processes.

3 Likes

Congrats! Your 4x6 Art Pieces are one of this week’s featured projects. You are awesome!

1 Like

Thank you! :grin:

Just love these! Your grandma pieces remind me of the fabric journal page you did for me (and, that was PUBLISHED! ahem )…you seem to have wild hair in your artistic genes because you do it so well!

Also love the white spiral piece!

1 Like