Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

@JoyfulClover, I love the bees and the way the colors and stencils make a cohesive whole. Yes, that pop of goldenrod yellow really brings out the theme.

@geekgirl, so funny, I love that image and the way you’ve added action. I like the dark to light and the white accents.

@Abbeeroad, so pretty and peaceful and it does say "solitude and space. Nice drips too.

@AIMR, I like the night sky effect and the numbers and text. Love the colors too!

I really enjoyed trying new techniques and how everyone interpreted so differently. I like the texture paste, I had never tried that before, read about it, thought about it, but never used.

As to images, I have a hard time using images from magazines, calendars, or cards. They are just too commercial and never exactly what I have in mind. I had a pile of images picked out but then didn’t use any. So I drew my own robin and painted with watercolor ahead of time. Same with the Mountain Laurel. I found that doing the first couple of steps that required drying time ahead of the Zoom meeting really helped give me time to explore all the layering. And I need to buy more matt gel, mine was done for and I really don’t like the gloss for this kind of work. Should have used good old Elmers. My drips were just not dramatic enough, have to work on that. I can do it when I don’t need drips…what gives?

6 Likes

Update on the Arrowroot texture paste. It worked fine and took paint well, but if I got it too wet and worked over it too much it started to dissolve. It was very smooth and no flaking or dusting when dry. My guess is that it needs more glue or gel medium to hold up under moisture. It was fine as long as I didn’t saturate it and work over it too much.

I’ll try baking soda or corn starch next.

1 Like

Haha…so true!

Beautiful mix of elements on your page. I really love that music corner!!

I know I can find tons of images online but then I sometimes get frozen with too many decisions. and always end up downloading birds or butterflies.

So I got this book.
Extraordinary Things to Cut Out and Collage by Maria Rivans, Paperback | Barnes & Noble® (barnesandnoble.com)

It has some interesting images and makes me use things I would never think to look for online. like the lady on the missle.

@JoyfulClover - the yellow really makes the page pop and goes with the bees.

@marionberries - your texture makes parts of the page look like fabric. very cool look. your bird looks awesome!

2 Likes

Everyone’s layouts turned out so good from the Zoom last night. I’m so sorry I couldn’t join all of you. I didn’t get home from the office until after 6 and had a VERY long day, so I couldn’t make it, but love to see what everyone else created. Gorgeous pieces.

1 Like

So nice to see you!!! I love that you did a bunch of prep work to make this something very truly your own…the mountain laurels are just gorgeous

@geekgirl, the texture was partly from the watercolor paper I was using and it does give a nice effect.

I struggle with doing too much or too little…like everyone. I think the video helped because she just kept layering on, I didn’t agree with all she did, design-wise, but it did show that you just need to keep going if you need to. I don’t like outlining things, it’s soooo tedious but the results are nice.

“You’ve got to know when to layer up
Know when to back off
Know when to walk away
And know when to run…”

2 Likes

I just started a new page. Going for bright so did some yellows. I’m not doing any more on it tonight so that the molding paste can fully dry.

5 Likes

Oh my lovelies,I think I found the aliexpress motherlode of stamps, oh so many

Shop910552357 Store
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMDtV0N

And this one
Yu Long Store
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msepMvT

Sorry (not sorry!)

1 Like

I am not even going to click on that link… after I went and ordered the mushroom stamp set and a cloud stencil, I have been spending in bits here and there… which adds up! But, so many great deals!! Ack!!

And, I seriously do.not.need. anymore stamps… I’ve been buying stencils and metal dies instead!

1 Like

Stay away! It’s seriously tempting.

1 Like

Anybody wanting some stamps in the mail, message me! I have a bunch in the donation pile. I would much rather give them to y’all.
Also whimsies, there are so many. Please take these treasures off my hands!

4 Likes

Oooh, I only have a few stamps. Do you happen to have any cats (always looking for cat stuff)?

The system wouldn’t let me message you, but I’d also be interested in stamps; that’s a gap in my current supplies.

I do have cats!

I figured out what was happening with messages & hopefully fixed it.

1 Like

@edel…omg…

“Midas Touch” I decided to stop while I’m still happy with it. I used lots of metallic gold and I tried to capture the shine in the photo. The center motif, flower outlines, and the edges are all done in the gold. Thoughts?

5 Likes

As far as I know, since talcum causes cancer, most baby powder is just corn starch now!

I like tonal pieces. And good naming!

Cool beans. I’ll try corn starch next and it doesn’t have any odor. Another win.

2 Likes