Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

I got my space all set up. Just need to get Zoom going when it’s time. wee!

1 Like

I had a lot of fun tonight even if I didn’t have too much to work with. I’m hoping to learn a lot by doing these and am looking forward to the next one.

Still in progress, but here is what I did.

9 Likes

Almost looks like a blended water color! Love the spots of yellow among the blues and purples…and yes, your leaves are floating out of the branch!

1 Like

Nice start, it has a feel of motion and liveliness.

Here is mine…I really enjoyed this one…I liked Carlee’s suggesion to use a credit card to spread the paint in the background!

8 Likes

@LuckyXIIICreations - there is so much movement in your page! Love that!

@AIMR - did you add some journaling or did I miss that last night? Love the numbers in your layers. I never would have thought to do that!

Here’s mine. I still feel like it might need something bottom left but I’m calling it done.

8 Likes

Here’s mine! It’s darker than I intended.

10 Likes

Love your image! :laughing: And the square doodles! Stencil?

@LuckyXIIICreations I agree about the movement on your page. you can imagine the wind blowing!

@AIMR love all the texture you have going on. And the number stencil :wink:

@Abbeeroad I love your color choices and the drips you have going down the page.

1 Like

yeah I used a square stencil and modeling paste. it’s hard to see but they are raised.

1 Like

wow these are amazing
@LuckyXIIICreations I love the colours that you chose, it looks really dynamic

@AIMR wow, fabulous, the numbers and the droplets are really fantastic, they really work with the dark blue

@Abbeeroad I love it, and I really like the density of the top of the page trailing off to the lighter more delicate bottom, the words work really well

@geekgirl that purple! it is amazing and I love the texture you created, especially the little square blocks, I can’t tell if they are raised, but they look really dimensional

1 Like

@Abbeeroad…I used a word stamp with water based ink and then let the paint drips do their magic by blurring the words

I love the leaves trailing down one of the drips on the left side…and I also love the space you left…it is hard for me to leave space but the eye likes to find a place to rest a bit…the top part is plenty to look at…just lovely (and your daughter is becoming quite the budding journal page maker as well!)…

@geekgirl I think the dark goes well with the image…it creates a somber mood for it even if the image is a bit funny! I now need a square stencil… :slight_smile: and yes, the number stencil is another geekgirl special…girl, I swear you need to apply for commissions! lol

1 Like

@LuckyXIIICreations - It really does look like the wind is blowing. Like a willow tree. And your bird is GREAT - esp the wing!! Also, we are all about substitutions! No pressure to buy more! Mixed colors can make new colors!

@AIMR - I love your color choices. They look like night sky. And the journaling looks aged. Already! I love it.

@Abbeeroad - the greens and fuchsia go really well together. You could definitely journal on the left, but I know the feeling of not wanting to mess it up. The videos say to TRUST THE PROCESS, but I don’t trust me! Ha! I don’t want to back myself into a corner!

@geekgirl - your page is EPIC. It’s funny, but also well composed. I see the white space you left! It gives the feeling of flying over a city, but subtly. This really makes me feel good.

3 Likes

I’m so happy everyone who was able to be there, was. It was great seeing familiar makers AND to finally see the sweet faces of more crafty friends!

Insert frantically waving! Hi! @audity, @marionberries, and @LuckyXIIICreations!!

Hope to see everyone next round!
JClove

4 Likes

You are aptly “named”…I am about to go out to my many doctor visits today and to start my day with such positive vibes is great…thank YOU for hosting and for challenging us all to take a leap…

I agree the it was great to see new faces and hang with everyone for a bit!

2 Likes

I am very pleased with how mine turned out. Particularly the marigold on the left, when she went back in to add more color around the stencil.

@jemimah, thank you for pointing it out! I think that was the zing that made it feel finished to me.

6 Likes

Beautiful! There are so many details that you don’t pick up in the zoom. Love the brick background and the swirling, smoky area. It’s like a peek into another world…

2 Likes

I had some ideas while laying in bed last night, that I just remembered now! I want to swing by B&N or…somewhere. I want to look for more nature magazines. I find I am less stressed by tearing those up than the ones purchased specifically for journaling use. They feel less precious to me. I have been relying on what I just happen to have. And the pickins are gettin slim.

I want to do some kind of half pen-work/half art journaling and see what happens.

Also, I am going to try and duplicate some pages I’ve seen. No tutorials, just pages shared. Like this one:

4 Likes

I have loads of black canvases…I think I will get a pad of black paper as well…I love that look…

I agree using what others might toss out…I get a subscription to Audubon that has lots of nature pictures…doctor offices often get magazines that they toss out each month…someone might be able to save them for you!

1 Like

I hate to say it, but for once, I want to actually find something that fits my idea, instead of always trying to make it work. Watch me freeze there, too, because I paid for them! Ha! Trash is freeing!!!

I don’t have any black pages, so I am going to paint mine. Then stencil in white. Paint white over the center - maybe with a brayer? Or dry brush till I get what I want. And then…I dunno. The rest I’ll figure out when I get there. I can draw buildings better than creatures. They’re just blocks. But I like creatures more than buildings so well see. Maybe I’ll do cheaty creatures, and trace the outline! Ha!

1 Like