Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

That’s so pretty! lovely sparkling colours :sparkles:

I…should do this. Parts of my brain are simultaneously trying to talk me into and out of it; we’ll see who wins. Thank you for putting it in front of me, regardless.

2 Likes

I was convinced! You should be too! I’m definitely not going to be able to keep up- and knowing this in advance makes it less stressful, but even so, it’s still worth it! One of the things that I love about her is that she isn’t precious with her art supplies. Basic stuff (she’s even used Crayola markers in the past), embrace the messy.

1 Like

Yes! I love this about her, too.

It does look like things might get pretty messy based on the teaser vid!

2 Likes

I have been on a quilting mania. But I took a pause today to play with some paper and ink pads. I was just working on the bee(apparently I need a lot of drawing for my portfolio, for art school). But I actually had a load of paper hexies that I bought (I’m never quilting that small) so they worked for the facing page.

7 Likes

In response to the last video:
@marionberries I love how your background goes from bright on the left to the more spread out and chaotic on the right. It’s so gorgeous and I love the words.
@photojenn Those colors call my name. So pretty! I love your subtle color dotting. I can’t do subtle. :slight_smile:
@AIMR Yours is so pretty. The more pastel colors remind me of a beautiful seascape. I love how you used round images like looking through little windows to see the birds.
@JoyfulClover I LOVE how you used the paint blobs to make more of the plants. Your doodling takes this piece up to the next level. Gorgeous!
@calluna I love that fun shape that you added for a little extra oomph. I like the contrast of the yellow and red on the blue too. Super fun people too.
@curiousfae I love your little mixed media heart and how you added the swirls to the yellow blobs. It adds a real dimension to the piece.
@jemimah Great quote and gorgeous flowers. Inktense are amazing and the vibrancy in your piece shows. What a great use of the dots and the lines in the stems.
@Bel I love how you used the green and the blue for the background and accented it with the purple birds and splotches. It looks great!
@Abbeeroad What a cool background. I love how you interspersed the dots and paint blobs. It really creates eye movement in the piece.
@geekgirl I loved your first one, but this one is super cool too. I love the bright yellow birdie on the darker background and how fluffy and round the bird is. It does a great job of bringing out all of the curves in your background too. Fun!
@LuckyXIIICreations I think this looks like an underwater scene with little air bubbles floating around. Pretty cool!
In response to the bee spread:
@Edel THIS IS BEAUTIFUL! I love the backgrounds and the watercoloring that you did on the hexies. Those two reddish pink ones that pop off the background make me so happy!

8 Likes

@LuckyXIIICreations I love the underwater feel your page has.

@edel that bee is awesome! and I love all the hexes

1 Like

Good way to use up those used up hexie shapes!

1 Like

Those backgrounds are really easy to do. They are water reactive ink pads, dabbed on a plastic sheet, sprayed with water and the paper swiped over. The dye can be further removed with more water or a wet brush

2 Likes

Beautiful spread!

That’s gorgeous! Love the bee drawing :cherry_blossom: :honeybee:

Your bee is to die for, @Edel! And you’re applying to art school???

Yeah, my craft space is my coffee table, so I can already tell you I won’t be slapping paint around with quite such abandon :laughing:. But I did take the plunge.

5 Likes

Yay!!

:crossed_fingers: I’m applying for a part time degree and hoping my work will pay :grin: my boss supports my application, but it has to go to a committee and I have to get in. But you never know!

9 Likes

I’ll think good thoughts your way. Good luck!

That is so exciting, @Edel! I am sending you all the wishes I am able!

I found this excellent link with some cool techniques

5 Likes

And I did a page today. Very very loosely based on the bird journaling-along that I missed. I used some ink I made a couple of years ago for the word on this page and the embossed bird is a lino cut I made ages ago.
It was interesting, because I’ll have to show a portfolio with my application to art college, and all the while I was doing this, I kept having to pull myself back from creating for them. I had to remind myself quite a few times that I need to create for me.

11 Likes

I have a very hard time creating for me. I’m usually keeping an eye on where it will go, so I make for someone else’s preference. GOOD FOR YOU!!

Also, I love this lino shape on the wooded resist background. There’s a lot of harmony.