Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

If you see this click on Show Vote

If you see this click on Show Results and then Show Vote again

1 Like

I took this page I did and just started doodling on it…funny how you can see images in a colorwash, so I just went with it…

12 Likes

This is STUNNING! I love the color! And the leaf shapes! And that left side vs right side? Lurve

I was just saying I want to do a botanical page!!! You read my mind, always!

I had a co-worker who had to use every highlight color and never left anything un-highlighted. She just couldn’t understand that un-highlighted was a color too. I hated getting her marked-up work.

All my drawing courses always stressed white space. it’s the only way I can draw a chair, for example, I look at the shape of the negative spaces. And white space is not necessarily white, it’s the open spaces between things.

2 Likes

ha! Yes!

Yes, a resting spot for your eye is important. Not necessarily white.

1 Like

that is gorgeous!

1 Like

ok that would drive me nuts

2 Likes

When people do that, after a while, it defeats the purpose of highlighting! Nothing stands out!

Paper highlighting is like all caps on the interwebs…annoying!

2 Likes

This reminds me of a watercolor wash someone turned into Christmas ornaments and posted on reddit. it was really pretty and seems so simple

Untitled, Me, Watercolor, 2020 : Art (reddit.com)

2 Likes

I took a watercolor class at our museum that used this technique…you basically do a simple colorwash and then draw in a simple design…although some were not simple at all…there were complete landscapes, etc. I am going to try more if it…this was actually a practice exercise using the YouTube videos that @edel had posted…trying different techniques, etc…a layer a day sort of thing…I managed to get three pages done…one page is what I used to make my Frida shrine…it was simply using a stencil and dropping powder ink on it…

20201231_203814

6 Likes

Yes, I saw this one! It’s do well done!

I have responded yes, for the invite, but I have a party the night before, so I might not be up at 6am :speak_no_evil::yum:

2 Likes

I watched the video with the white space and now I want to prepare some papers in advance. I can definitely manage the black and white scribble pages. And, I might Sharpie up some pages, too. I can do that while my students are working this week. Does Sharpie run when using gel medium? That could add to the effect, but I just want to be prepared. I might Sharpie on watercolor paper then hit it with a spray of alcohol. I’m trying to decide if I want eyes for the focal or something else.

I use Sharpies because they don’t run with water or gels and you can use them to write over gel medium…I did mix up some waterbased markers with my Sharpies and then used gel medium that washed them away and had to go over with a Sharpie…I have to pay attention when I have all the things out on my workspace…

1 Like

Thanks! I don’t have a ton of supplies, and I’m trying not to go overboard like I usually do with new things (must have ALL of the things!). I could use more white paint, however… I’m worried about it freezing if I order it online. I’m home this week, so it won’t sit outside, so it will probably be fine.

1 Like

I sometimes use sharpies. I’ve seen some people turn their nose up art made with sharpie as they say its not archival quality but if you do a quick search they are supposed to be archival quality.

1 Like

I mean, how long do people think they are going to live?

2 Likes

I am not that egotistical to think that anyone beyond me is going to care about my archival “art” … :laughing:

2 Likes

Well, I did love your bubble piece!

3 Likes

Sharpies (like most alcohol inks) are not light-fast over time, but if you’re working on something in a book that mostly stays closed it’s probably not too important.

3 Likes