Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

ahh…that I did not know…which explains why sometimes I go over marks on older works because the black looks a bit faded…learn something from you guys all the time!

2 Likes

@Edel! We’re here! Zoom info is above, and vote if you can make it!

1 Like

I voted Yes as a “maybe,” in hopes that I won’t still be neck deep in a work project by Sunday. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Just watched through this quick on 2x to prepare for this weekend :slight_smile: I love the look of this page, looking forward to trying it!

Do you think it would be good to gesso the page beforehand? Actually, do you (or anyone) have any “quick and fast rules” for when to gesso and when not to?

I gesso my paper only because I don’t want paints to bleed through…I like the feel of the page after gesso…almost feels like soft leather…It also gives me a bit of longer time to change my mind or fix a blob…

1 Like

I always gesso, but it’s a personal preference. It prepares the paper to better stand up to all the wet paints and stuff you are going to add. I also use clear gesso for when I want what’s under to show through more.

2 Likes

Unless I am doing watercolor, I always gesso.

Hey, @calluna! Here is the Zoom thread! Info above!

3 Likes

If I didn’t prepare ahead of time and don’t feel like messing with it I don’t gesso but only if I am using 140 lb paper (watercolor paper). Otherwise I always gesso.

But yes, if you are going to gesso, do it ahead of time. I’ll send out an email with the zoom link and remind everyone to gesso ahead of time if they are going to.

3 Likes

I’m planning to work all day Saturday, but all things considered art therapy may be a better choice! I almost reached out yesterday to do an impromptu love/art-in, but it was getting too late.

1 Like

Just to confirm, we’re meeting on Sunday this week, not the usual Saturday. Correct?

I know the invite says Sunday so I assume it’s Sunday, but wanted to point it out incase others missed that detail at first like I did. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, it’s Sunday!

1 Like

it’s Sunday if that makes a difference!

1 Like

Thank you for pointing that out, I totally assumed Saturday!

1 Like

in addition to doing gesso ahead of time, if you are going to make your own black and white scraps using marker and paper like she did you’ll want to do those ahead of time too.

Looks like she made thick and thin stripes and another with scribbles. and then just tore the pages into strips.

3 Likes

I keep reading this thread, but I just can’t fit in Art Journaling right now. And I love to create pages and books and papers. Right now it is masks and quilts taking up my time. Have fun evryone.

3 Likes

I’m disappointed to not see you, but 100% understand! I’m super proud you are making sure you are not overextended. See you on the quilty side!

1 Like

Even though I knew it was Sunday, my brain was thinking that I had to prepare everything tomorrow night!

I’m giving a quiz tomorrow (online remotely) so I will have plenty of time to create my black and white scribble strips and create a Sharpie page to tear up. I am going to have to see what I can find for an image to use. Plus, I’ll peruse my stamps and stencils to see what I can play with. I have to get a bunch of grading finished on Saturday, so an art session on Sunday will be my reward!

2 Likes

I made my black and white marks during a meeting yesterday.

Of course you can use anything - scrapbook paper, tissue, magazine pages, etc.

7 Likes

I love that brick and dot section. I probably have time to do this today, too!

Thank you for the doodle suggestions.

1 Like

Sorry you can’t make it but I understand about not wanting to overcommit. We’ll still be here when you do have time!

1 Like