Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

Yes! So excited!

2 Likes

This looks fun! We set up a new painting space in our basement that’s ready to be used! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t do Sunday, but really love this spread, gg!!! Fantastic!!

1 Like

We will miss you, but yay @Magpie and @Pigeon!

3 Likes

Hopefully I’ll be able to join, I’ve limited access to supplies at the moment, but it would be lovely to do something crafty.

3 Likes

I also finished up the Alisa Burke videos! I still feel like I need a “culminating” piece that layers multiple techniques with intention but I’m calling it done for now.

Here’s my expressive writing:

And playing with scale:

And then I combined the two:

I kept trying to tame the chaos on the left and think I just made it worse, lol.

9 Likes

lol the left side is the one I like the best! Nice work…and, it is already apparent that you and others have incorporated some of the lessons into your own style and work…love seeing the pages…I know I am looking forward to getting them done!

2 Likes

Love that left side! And the layering is FANTASTIC!! That disk makes me swoon, for reals. And paired with your final piece - you have such a great eye, AR!

3 Likes

Thanks, you guys! :blush:

1 Like

The writing looks like it was spray painted. And you were able to duplicate that on both. I’m glad you didn’t try to ‘fix’ it, because it’s such a good aesthetic. It feels really urban.

3 Likes

Ooh, Abbee those are gorgeous pages! I agree that they both look marvelous but if your inclination after going away from them and coming back again is still the need for more “tameness” you could white out every other stripy ray around the circle. That would still leave the vibrant motion of the piece while creating some negative space to offset it.

I just proposed a masterboard along in another thread, anybody interested? It has a very similar feel to this set of lessons but is layered all in one piece. Great way to make a culminating piece and see where the techniques can be applied together to create an end product I think. I’ve loved the freedom of just doing it for no future purpose but I also like the idea of that eventual future purpose too.

5 Likes

I am in awe of the final transportation of these masterboards…seeing them used in cards, backgrounds, etc. Some of the “finished” pieces we have been doing are just not to my taste so I have considered chopping them up …

2 Likes

Your pages are all looking so fantastic!

2 Likes

I just had a family Zoom scheduled for this time, so I’m out for this one.

3 Likes

I’m a big Maybe, but I hope to be there if life allows!

6 Likes

tell your family art is more important! :laughing:

4 Likes

Can’t wait to see everyone! Glad it is earlier since my favorite nephew will be arriving around 4 today! So excited to finally have a visitor at my new home! Can’t wait to take him to the beach and show him around town.

I have been messing around with making alcohol inks with my old dried up sharpies…experimented a bit on some background pages…ordered a heat gun…embossing powders…more sharpies…lol

Alcohol ink sprayed paper, white acrylic stamping of circles, doodles with sharpies, black in stamping, more alcohol ink…the colors are much more vivid than shown

8 Likes

Ooo! I love it!! Particularly where it is all foggy looking on the left and the botanical stamp.

1 Like

I like how organic it all looks.
How did you make alcohol inks with sharpies? I have tons of sharpies.

I’ve been resisting buying embossing powders. I keep telling myself I don’t need to buy ALL the supplies! :laughing:

1 Like

I found a video on it…basically, when the Sharpie is almost dried up, you pull off the caps and nib…inside there is a tube…I took small spray bottles , filled them with about halfway with iso alcohol and stuck the tubes in there and let them set…I also took an eyedropper and poured alcohol down inside the tube to help it along. Depending on how intense the color I got, I added some more alcohol. The colors are way lighter than purchased inks, but they still turn out pretty good! I did green, yellow, black and blue…the black gives more of a purple gray that you see in the first one.

3 Likes