Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

Thanks for saying that, because historically, my critique in art classes has been that I didn’t fill enough of the space :laughing:. But the upside is that I don’t have to fight myself like a lot of people do to leave white space.

Tonight I tried the outlining brushstrokes thing on the black swipey page. I actually really enjoyed the process and like the result, though I may need to address the bottom third…

9 Likes

Wow! I love how this looks! I’d hang that on the wall!

2 Likes

I love it…it has a very good feel about it…urban and chaotic…you should frame that one for sure!

2 Likes

What they said! Sooo coool!

2 Likes

That looks very purposeful & really neat.
I confess I’m not so motivated to actually do a lot of the lessons, many of them are elements already used in masterboard making & I keep just wanting to do that instead! I’ll have to force myself to focus on her instructions a bit more.

2 Likes

Aw, thanks, everyone! Maybe I will cut it out of the journal and hang it up.

There are several of them I haven’t felt like doing either, at least not in real time. But I’m filing them away mentally as options for later. They’ve given me some ideas for working with existing masterboards, too.

1 Like

I’m playing catch up (just in time for the new one to come out in a few minutes and be behind again, lol). And I agree. A few of these I forced myself to do, for sure.

Rip + redefine:

After filling space:

Cut + tile:

And more filling space:

8 Likes

I took another crack at painting out shapes, this time with actual paint. It was better but still smeary in places, and I called it quits after half the spread. It just felt like it would be a waste of paint. Maybe I’ll try the other side with black paint at some point.

Anyway, the left side is gesso + paint and the right is just the gesso.

In other news, I’m pretty sure green magic marker can be seen from space.

4 Likes

I really, really like the last two. The “Florida orange” one looks so great with the added lines.

2 Likes

I was thinking how I could use a piece of black or white paper to cut shapes out of to lay over the colorful page rather than using paint. Not that I don’t appreciate the technique, it’s just that I only have wee little tubes of paint!

1 Like

A lot of the lessons feel like we have done them along the way naturally in our other pieces…but, for me, isolating each technique makes me appreciate them and file them away in my scattered brain…I also like the idea of just doing something with no end goal…I tend to be very goal-oriented and so that has been freeing…

I was going to “finish” some of the lessons, and decided to let them go…I can use them later for other projects, so I filed them in a folder…

I am inundated now with work stuff until about April 10th or so…but I am still trying to sneak in a few lessons or so in the wee hours of the morning…

Love seeing your work, everybody…makes me look forward to the lessons and sort of guess which ones I remember from here!

2 Likes

The Spread That Lived 4: I Fought a Pumpkin, & I Liked It

This is the “use weird stuff to apply your paint” exercise. My weird stuff was some fluffy padding/batting, a piece of an old ribbed tank, one of those prongy butterfly hair clips, a plastic bread bag tab, and a rolling ball on the end of a novelty promo pen.

5 Likes

wow…that looks like it was loads of fun to do!!! I love orange…lol…yeah, pumpkins, too…It is like a puzzle to figure out where you used what tool…

1 Like

These pages all look so full of energy! I’m really behind atm, but I’m going to catch up - it is inspiring looking at what you are all doing! I can see lots of ideas to adapt into all sorts of different artwork.

2 Likes

Love your unusual objects @megwell!! Nicely layered. :ok_hand:

I took a break from chasing freedom to try the “7 simple mixed media techniques” video @edel posted a while back with my friend. We had a blast trying new techniques and playing with new materials, even though some worked better than others. Mine ended up very sea themed, lol.

12 Likes

I love this vibe

2 Likes

mesmerizing…just love it

2 Likes

I am a bit behind on the Alisa Burke class. Good thing access doesn’t end after 30 days!

It’s been a while since we’ve done an art journaling session.
Who is up for a session this Sunday at 2pm Eastern time?

I thought this video looked cool. she looks like an alien.

Do you want to join in on Sunday March 28th?
  • Count me in
  • Not this time
0 voters
6 Likes

She looks like a creature from Avatar…beautiful rich colors!!

2 Likes

This looks fun - thanks for organising Carlee!!

2 Likes