Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

Yay!!

pssst…pretend to paint…lol

I’m going to be late, so I might not get to craft, but I’ll pop in to say hello to you guys x

2 Likes

Yay! I feel like it’s been forever since I’ve seen you!

Here’s my page from today, I loved this one!

Before I put on the white

Supplies

• Canson mixed media paper
  • Distress oxides (spray and pad) and distress ink pads
  • Liquitex Basics white and black acrylic paint
  • Faber-Castell PITT Artist Pen B
  • Uni-ball signo 207 black
9 Likes

That was a great session. I loved that tutorial, but it was so so good to see you guys.

@photojenn that was a good idea to take a picture before you covered it up! I love the purples and the writing

2 Likes

Beautiful! I really love the color you have showing through the white. And great shapes. I missed a lot of chatter…what did you use for your background?

2 Likes

Here’s mine! This one was really fun. I will probably do it again since my friend was bummed to miss this one.

Edited to add materials used:

Background: Red, yellow, orange, and aqua craft acrylics watered down with spray bottle, white acrylic ink, water spritzes

Foreground: Golden gesso, posca paint pen, sharpie ultra fine, watered down black acrylic for splatter

9 Likes

Thank you! I used distress ink and oxides. Most of the brighter colors are the oxides. I put the colors down on the mat then pressed the paper into it to pick up the color.

2 Likes

Right right…I remember you showing the bottle. Ooo…interesting technique!

1 Like

These are beautiful! We couldn’t do it today, we’re in the backyard with @Serenity making a fabulous painty mess!

This is about 3 hours of work, we’re maybe 1/2 way through.

11 Likes

I also really enjoyed this session. I think it is going to take a few more tries to pick out areas to leave…and I am going to use acrylics next time because the ink seemed to continually be reactive…I do like the effect but there was no way I was getting a white background…

pod1s

11 Likes

@Abbeeroad I love the harmony of your placement of the pods, it’s very soothing and rhythmic.

@AIMR I really like the colours coming through the background, they echo the colours in the pods that make the whole thing work together.

@Magpie now that looks like a whole lot of fun

1 Like

This was mine for today,

I used pan watercolour for the background, then two layers of white acrylic on top, the splatters are thin black acrylic. And the pen was a black felt tip and a gold uniball signo

11 Likes

I love the curvier shape~ and your splatters are fabulous as well…all with limited supplies…that is a feat…and it was so nice to see you…hope you get your crafting supplies back to order soon!

1 Like

Here is my page. I smudged the black ink in several places. I want to try again once I get some air brush medium to mix with my black ink and see if that helps me control the flow better.

Supplies:
Canson 98lb mixed media paper
White gesso
Liquitex acrylic inks
White acrylic paint
Black ink in a fine liner bottle. The type of black ink that comes with those old fashioned pens with the metal nibs and put dip the pen in the ink ( got the set in an art snacks box)
Signs uniball vision elite gel pen

This is the 4”x6” I had prepped ahead of time.

9 Likes

I quite like the smudges…since these are some sort of pods, they could easily be seeds or spores of some kind…it gives a very other worldy feel to them…I like them both!

2 Likes

@photojenn I love the effect you go with the distressed oxides. And how you can see muted colors showing through the white.

I meant to take a before pic and forgot.

@Abbeeroad I like how some of yours are behind others. Gives it more depth. Love the splatters!

@AIMR if you look at the video her background is not super white either. I love the grungy look of the bottom layers showing through the white. And cute little curlicues and squiggles.

@Edel the muted watercolor look is great! I love the shape of your pods!

Thanks everyone for joining it. This was a fun video.

4 Likes

These all look so nice! I am stubborn about covering up all that glorious colour myself, I wouldn’t be able to paint over it. I’d want to cut parts out & keep the scraps instead! I may have a problem…

1 Like

That was a bit tough, but it is just paper…and, it does show thru…if feels counterintuitive to how we would normally do it but it was loads of fun and made me focus on the sections I really liked the best…

I guess alternatively, you could drop all the inks, cut out the shapes and then have the rest of the pieces for other things…lol…but we do that a lot already…