Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

Ahh, doodling as journaling. I hadn’t thought of that as art journaling, which really does make sense. I was lead on a project for most of the year and it consisted of way too many meetings that I just had to sit through. So I started large sheets of doodles based around a month or two. In November I transitioned back to my regular job and suddenly had time to do my actual work, and very few meetings. So here it is January and I am slowly finishing Dec. I would like to finish a full year cycle, so I would still have to do Jan and Feb. I’ve never had to wish for more meetings before.

7 Likes

that looks awesome. I would love to see more.
I like to doodle during meetings. gives me something to do while my brain turns to mush.

1 Like

I wanted to point out to everyone if you didn’t already know, that on the first post of a thread, it will list links in the thread. so if you ever want to go look at all the videos posted and didn’t bookmark it you can go look there. Of course they won’t necessarily be apparent which one you need but it’s something!

7 Likes

I love the vaguely building shapes on the lower left side. I’m trying to work on my doodle game, so this is great!

Also, some distinctly look like quilts!

Oh wow, I didn’t know that. That’s an amazing tip!

1 Like

So…I think I might join you guys this year. I’ve been dancing around the idea of an art journal for a while, but really had no idea where to start. I admit that I was intimidated by the Paper/Mixed Media Craftalong because paper is not my media of choice and I am NOT a painter. But I think this might be just the thing to stretch my creative muscles this year…

5 Likes

PLEASE DO!!! The other makers and videos have taught me so much. There is no right or wrong to it, just do what you can with what you have. There is almost always a substitute, so very low entry, my friend!

4 Likes

I was super intimidated as well but I’m glad I hopped in! Art journaling/painting/paper/mixed media is not how my brain works so it’s been fun pushing outside my comfort zone. Plus getting to hang out with and being inspired by awesome crafty ladies has made these some of my favorite zooms!

Be warned, the zooms have been known to lead to acquisition of additional craft supplies :joy:

4 Likes

I RSVP’ed for Sun, so we’ll see how it goes. :smiley:

LOL, @photojen, I already have a trip to Michaels planned for tonight to pick up some supplies for Sunday…

4 Likes

Yay! We are happy to have you. We were all were beginners at some point. Feel free to ask any questions.

1 Like

This is way outside of my comfort zone, as well! I still haven’t committed to the journal part of it, yet. So far, it’s just been single sheets that are being used for other things. If I get more confident, I might eventually bind the single sheets together. Perhaps one day, I’ll level up to altering an actual book!

3 Likes

Thanks guys! I’m excited to get started. :smile:

1 Like

I am like you…I dabbled in paper and paint for years, but fabric and yarn were my medium of choice…these are low stress, learning, and no judgement sessions…fun and informative…I was surprised how doing something so “alien” became quite easy once you just let yourself go!

I have learned more than just techniques…I have learned that we all have something to offer of ourselves in these pieces…they are journal pages of us…and all are just fine no matter what…love to see you and see what you create as well!

4 Likes

This is like yoga for me - I take the beginner class over and over. I am always starting a fresh. I think art journaling is a bit like this. You can learn all kinds of fancy tricks but I tend to repeat the same themes and backgrounds because I am comfortable with the techniques or materials and it gets me into the flow quickly.

4 Likes

I learn and get comfort like you…repeating many of the exercises over and over…

I’m interested in figuring out how to incorporate fabric scraps in art journaling, so I’ll be taking notes from your creative process, even though you’re seeing yourself as new!
(I’m trying to use up my stash of fabric bits, which isn’t big enough for doing full-on fabric pages, I have to go mixed-media with it)

3 Likes

Yes! I have no idea how to incorporate fabric scraps, but I’d love to, too. So we’ll figure that out together. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wonder if gesso on fabric would help it not absorb as much? I know you can sew on heavy paper as well…I have used watercolors on muslin and then sewn fabric on top of that…this would be sewing or gluing fabric onto paper…it would be a fun thing to learn and share trials and tribulations!

2 Likes

Gesso is going to be completely new to me. It’s on my list of things to buy! I do want to start with a traditional journal of some kind and go from there.

I have done some sewing of fabric on paper, with mixed results, lol.

1 Like

Just think of it like primer…in the paper thread, there is a video on all the different primers, gels, etc. It was very helpful to me…you can play and see how much each block or absorb paint, which ones allow for time to correct any mistakes, etc. I put little notes on my jars so I remember what does what…after a while, it becomes easier!

2 Likes