Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

I like it! I really love your color choices too. This is a super neat concept all together. Well done!

1 Like

Here are two I had forgotten to share:

A thin layer had flaked off of some styrofoam packaging I received, and it had to get put to use! The base is old photos covered with gesso and little interesting bits left popping out. Also used a dried leaf; markers, scraps of bark-print scrapbook paper; a laser-cut paperboard shape that I think was supposed to be coral, but worked better as roots; glitter; and snippets of translated ecstatic poetry.

The base material is notes from a class from which I dropped out after the first day…yet I kept it for years just because it was good quality paper. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Materials used: paper scraps, ink, paint, markers, pencil, painted hole reinforcement stickers, aquarelle pencil with water, pens, interference medium, glitter paint
It’s my first foray into personal sigils (at the bottom) – I do steer clear of spell-casting and that kind of thing. But I liked the idea of setting an intention and incorporating it as a unique symbol into art that is already a processing of inner stuff. Essentially it’s writing out the word that sums up the intention, then using each letter of the word to form a single shape/character.

This week I’m just gessoing through a second-hand book that will be my next art journal.

11 Likes

That first one is so zen - and I LOVE the creative re-use of the packaging. As for the second, isn’t it fun when you hold onto something and then years later you realize why you did it for a reason!

Both are super cool!

1 Like

Crap- I already know I won’t make it on Sunday. I am sitting in on interviews tomorrow (well, technically today, since it’s after midnight) for a new member of my teaching team, so I’ll be busy all morning. And, I was already booked for the afternoon. So the rest of the work I have for the class I took will have to be completed on Sunday.

I keep watching the videos, and I’m working on being more efficient with my school time, so hopefully I can be better about giving myself time to create!

3 Likes

These are great, I love how you’re writing with such intention, it really shines through

1 Like

Those are both completely gorgeous but the first one made me gasp out loud. Wow. I felt the power of your intention right through the screen
Amazing.

2 Likes

I was sitting on this page half done for about 2 weeks not knowing where I was going to go with it. I wasn’t happy entirely with the original background so it was cutting off my enthusiasm to finish it up, but then I came across the May Zoom meet-up project in this thread and had an ‘a-ha!’ moment of how I could both get rid of but also use the background. The real crux of it though is that I have had a TERRIBLE ear-worm for a song I don’t even like for weeks now. I tried listening to it on loop. I’ve tried listening to everything but the song. I’ve tried singing it entirely through, and have tired singing other songs. Nothing was working, so I decided to lean in and make this page to try to get rid of it! The background scrawling are the lyrics, and I finished the page listening to the stupid song on loop. I like how the page ended up. The colors are quite me. But that effing song is still stuck in my head. UGH

This is another page in my altered 1937 dictionary volume. The carnivorous plants are a printed illustration from German biologist Ernst Haeckel from around 1899. Art supplies include:
Gelatos, gesso, Posca pens, gel pen and micron pen

10 Likes

Haha…well, I love the page, even if it didn’t work out your ear worm. The song is tapping lightly in my head now, so maybe if you pass it on you’ll be free?

1 Like

OMG - I purposefully did not name the song in my description because I didn’t want to infect anyone else. I hope you didn’t get the curse!

1 Like

That page is epic.

1 Like

On a side note, do you pronounce “gesso” with a guh sound or a juh sound?

I’ve always read it with a guh as it is spelt, but I was watching a tutorial and the last pronounced it with a juh as in Jesso.

I was mightily confused

I’m not sure the correct pronunciation, but I always pronounce it like Jess-oh

1 Like

Another vote here for Jesso-O!

1 Like

I guess-o I also call it jess-o!

3 Likes

Team Jesso!

1 Like

Much appreciated–no amount of social distancing can prevent the spread of earworms!

And though I always thought “guess-o” in my own head, all the artist videos I started watching said “jess-o”, so I made the switch.

Jess-o here too

1 Like

But that makes no sense, it begins with a g…:thinking:

I think it’s the ge combination. I’d also pronounce Jerry and Geri the same way.

Giraffe :wink:

Soft G Gesso for me /g/j/dge/ … I really enjoy teaching phonics :stuck_out_tongue: