Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

I was thinking (after I messed up some lettering) that we should do a class on hand lettering techniques. I am always hesitant to write on any journal page because I will mess it up, misspell it, etc. So it ends up as a pasted on piece. I don’t want calligraphy, just cool hand written styles.

@megwell I like your casual lettering style.

4 Likes

I LOVE this idea.

1 Like

Me three

@megwell those are lovely pages

I just got a scanner and was playing around with scanning some of my pages from the zooms. It’s amazing how much more vibrant and true to life the colors from the scans are vs what I’m was getting with my phone!

8 Likes

I love the effect you got in the background where the two colours meet

1 Like

Stunning!

1 Like

@Edel I like your brick stamp and the colors you used. looks like space and planets.

@Abbeeroad - looks great!

@megwell that looks so therapeutic.

@marionberries good idea. I could always use more lettering practice. anyone have any video suggestions?

@photojenn the scanned version looks so good. maybe I should start doing that. My printer has a scanner

3 Likes

Thanks, everyone! It really was meditative.

Thank you! I wish I could take some kind of credit for it, but it’s just my handwriting. The only other styles I can reliably do are bubble letters and the kind where you put dots at the points and intersections :laughing: .

3 Likes

Here’s one: 50 Hand Lettering Ideas! Easy Ways to Change Up Your Writing Style! - YouTube but skip the promo at the end.

And this one is fun: Hand Lettering Fonts! My Favorite 9 Handwriting Styles | Bullet Journal Fonts & Lettering Ideas - YouTube

If I think hard enough I remember the tip to “draw your letters” rather than just write. And of course, PRACTICE!!

4 Likes

I took @photojenns tip and scanned mine in. I wish the sparkle of the magic powders come through - its delicious! I love the Zoom meetups! They really are helping me learn new techniques.

9 Likes

Oooo…I love the blue/green. And I wish I could see the magic powder too. We used Jess’s nuvo shimmer powders - so much sparkle!

1 Like

Here are my two pieces…I screwed up the scan twice…forgot how to enlarge my scanning space, so I will have to find the manual…anyway, I love how the powders just do their own thing…

I just enjoy seeing you guys and then seeing all the different pieces of gorgeous stuff!

10 Likes

I love that you put words in the circles!

I love these, the words really act as focal points

1 Like

Changing the subject, how about this idea…

Kraft Backgrounds | Stampington & Companyhsenc=p2ANqtz--RITM4Fd991EN8tn4Hnh_zpW2Qk5A2rtbRHEOXM95-tZd6jP3t-d8pcdlMXfJl-pZWPJJT3jO01c1eLA9ScjIQDCpqg&utm_content=164786396&utm_source=hs_email

We would swap completed backgrounds - kinda like a master board swap, kinda like the 4 x 6 Art Swap. Then each swapper can assemble their own journal and use it the way they’d like to.

Just an idea - no firm plans yet. I guess we would all have to be open to receiving any kind of background and all kinds of media, techniques, and color combos.

5 Likes

Everyone’s pages are so darn gorgeous!! Wow you guys! Do you ever look back at your own stuff from months and years ago and think - hey, I’m learning things!!
I feel like I’ve learnt so much from all of you :heart:

I’ve been working on other things and haven’t finished my circles page yet, but I really enjoyed creating with all of you.

I love the idea of a backgrounds swap @Smmarrt! But there’s issues with mail from US to NZ atm (USPS has suspended some services, so no swap parcels - I think you can still mail letters, although I’m not optimistic about how long they’ll take), so I might have to watch from the sidelines for now.

1 Like

I got my swap package to my partner in Australia returned to me with a note saying that services were suspended for everything except first class documents! I could send it UPS but it would cost over $165 for less than a pound! I am dismayed, but, at least they are letting me remail it with the original postage when I can… :frowning:

1 Like

So what’s been happening that packages have been suspended? @jemimah I’m hoping to mail out to you in a couple of weeks. September has been crazy busy, but I’m half way through the swap package. (Will respond to your message tomorrow x)

1 Like

As far as can tell, USPS has suspended services to NZ and Australia because of Covid capacity and cost issues. I think it’s at the US end, as far as I know I can still mail out. And it shouldn’t affect other countries. I will make sure to mail our swap really early though!

What a great idea (and thanks for the links!). I want to try making my own “doodle notes” for my students and hand lettering is something I am just not good at.