Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

I loved the three classes that I took. The December class is making 12 books, maybe Moleskine-sized and then binding them into a giant book. Can be planners or just 12 monthly art journals. Yes, it’s a lot of instruction but there is time to interact. Mostly you craft along with the instructor. So it’s a craft-along with minimal interaction. You can ask questions in the chat and they are usually answered - there is someone monitoring the chat and asks the instructor to answer.

2 Likes

Thanks, I think I’m going to sign up for it. Are you planning to do the December one? I love Andrea’s art and teaching styles plus the idea of a daily creative practice and having a giant book at the end of the year. Also, it’s not like I’m not taking enough other classes (ha!).

I made this page last night and am pretty happy with it. I think one of my main focuses for next year will be on composition as right now it feels like my weakest point.

16 Likes

Not sure - like you I have way too many things/classes. Also, I like to do the Creative Jumpstart in January. In addition to Watch.Learn. Play, Wanderlust, and Fodder School.
And the Ugly Art Club…that’s along with my own stuff, obsessing over Dina Wakley videos and media, and you know, working full time.

Plus swapping!

2 Likes

I love this! very calming color palette, and lovely watercolors.

1 Like

Beautiful!

1 Like

I finished off a couple of my Recycler’s Journal backgrounds recently.

I added the word cutouts and some more paint, immediately regretted the paint, and had to walk away from it for a while. In the meantime, I saw someone use the quote “Lose the fear of being wrong in your art” in an art journaling video and had an a-ha moment.

And because no journal of mine could be 100% earnest, a magazine collage with one of my favorite Barney Fife-isms from The Andy Griffith Show.

8 Likes

Ooo I love that first one. What a great quote!

OMG! Did anyone see Alisa Burke’s pottery video on YouTube? Now I want to go to a pottery place and paint like her!

You can fast forward - I’m still drooling. Thinking of asking the pottery guy teacher here at school to make me some hands and wonky plates.

3 Likes

Hey everyone, it’s been a while since we’ve done an art journaling session. And now the holidays are upon us.

Would people be up for a zoom on Sunday December 12 or do people prefer to wait until January?

• Let’s art journal on dec 12 at 2 pm Eastern time
  • Let’s wait until January

0 voters

2 Likes

Yasss! I’ve been in full pragmatic-craft mode the past month, making things to prep for winter, totally neglecting creative expression. It will be good to be messy and colorful again.

I just finished Alisa Burke’s big “Journal it out” class…at least, watching all the videos for it. I haven’t done all the exercises. But I wanted to see what all was there, in case something inspired me. I’ll come back to actually doing the things later. It wasn’t an art class in the usual sense; more of a guide to experimenting and finding what practices feel the most freeing, calming, and expressive in one’s personal art practice, totally letting go of interest in the end result and not being attached to what is on the page.

4 Likes

I have an idea based on what we’ve all been doing the last year - watching videos and making pages or interpreting the techniques in our own way.

Tiffany Goff Smith of Southern Gal Designs had been doing “You, Me, Same 3” collabs with some other artists. I can’t remember the one artist’s name but she sent 3 items to the other artists and they all make a page based on those items. (You can go to YouTube to see the videos.) ##Edit - The artist is Mickelnay. But there are lots of videos from other folks in the series.

Instead of sending physical items, and battling the USPS, I’m thinking we could have 3 - 5 prompts via this craft-along or email or messaging, and then we all create according to what the prompts prompt us to do. In the Quilt Along thread, the LCers are all making blocks each month using the same pattern.

Anybody interested?

Prompts could be colors, materials, specific ephemera (ledger paper, pressed flower, movie ticket), techniques, different media, pattern or design.

I am making some prompt cards, a la Watch.Learn.Play. and I am hoping to gather 50 or more prompts to get me going for something I’m planning for myself starting in 2022.

7 Likes

Sounds fun! I like the idea of prompts in addition to zooms.

2 Likes

I’d be in - my creativity is so in the dumpster lately that I’d be down for anything that might give me a boost!

1 Like

This sounds fun. We could also submit everyone’s address for “happy mail” and just let it be pretty free-form if we wanted to share? I think there is a happy mail thread so possibly that would suffice, or we could do a separate one for the Art Journaling group?

1 Like

Now that’s somethng I hadn’t considered. But yes to happy mail!

2 Likes

I’d be interested.

1 Like

I like working to prompts. as long as they aren’t crazy specific like a spotted dog eating ice cream while sitting in a chair on a moonlit night lol.

I posted some prompts a while back. I’ll see if I can find my list but I can always make a new one.

@Smmarrt do you want to throw out some prompts to get us started for December?

1 Like

LOL! Agreed.

I am into the idea of prompts but not so much the mailing. The happy mail along was too overwhelming for me to join, so that aspect doesn’t really appeal to me. But I will happily art along with others who mail their pieces to each other. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hear you. It’s nice to have “no commitment” creation sessions, for sure.

1 Like