Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

Challenge accepted! No, not really. :grin: For straight drawing or painting it can sometimes be motivating to have something very specific, but for more abstract art journaling and mixed media I like the prompts that can be interpreted in many ways, like using certain materials, colors, techniques or elements.

I was also thinking about the shared use of a specific public-domain image as a theme, but that would require everyone to have access to a printer, or else reproduce it by hand. Along those lines, I get inspired sometimes by the Photoshop Battles on Reddit (here are some highlights: 40 Winners Of The Greatest Photoshop Battles Ever)

1 Like

I find prompts really helpful for getting creative too - I’d love to join in!

Yes, I’m thinking. I’ll post later today.

And I’d love to see your list.

1 Like

I can’t find the list I posted before but here are some prompts off the top of my head:

Book page or Music sheets/pages
Map page
ribbon/lace
washi tape
postage stamp
something metal
something glittery
stenciling
ink
something with texture
legs
chevrons
polka dots
bird
Words
recycled materials
texture paste
eyes
underwater
heart
circles
triangles
splatters
buttons
something pink
dictionary page
thread

3 Likes

DECEMBER PROMPTS
(Remember, this is just for fun, no pressure)
Use as many of the prompts as you like. Make as many pages as you like.

Dark blue
Stars
Favorite song
Shimmer
Texture
Asemic writing

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

6 Likes

Inspired by an oldie I heard on the radio, Starry Starry Night by Don McLean.

Starry, starry night
Paint your palette blue and gray
Look out on a summer’s day
With eyes that know the darkness in my soul

Shadows on the hills
Sketch the trees and the daffodils
Catch the breeze and the winter chills
In colors on the snowy, linen land

Now, I understand what you tried to say to me
And how you suffered for your sanity
And how you tried to set them free
They would not listen, they did not know how
Perhaps they’ll listen now

These are great for Dec!

Here’s a journal page I worked on today for another site. The theme was “eye” or “eyes”.

I did not draw the eye just added the white highlights. The red tear was already there but the blue/green drips are my doing. It’s from a Japanese paper back book cover I got from the local library sale. I cut the cover down to 5”x7” and mounted on 140lb water color paper. I added some book page, stenciling, acrylics, and gel pens.

10 Likes

Love the black and white marks - stealing these for my marks workbook!

1 Like

Love the deep colors and quote. Lovely.

1 Like

I was inspired again by the song I heard on the radio and the desire to work on something for myself.

6 Likes

Love those dolls. Great use of the Dec prompts!

This was my attempt at the December prompts
I used this coarse iridescent texture paste I got on clearance for the small stars and when it dried I was not a fan. It dried clear and they all disappeared into the background. I may give the prompts another try later.

@Smmarrt i never knew my “fake” writing in journals had a word! I had to look up Asemic writing.

4 Likes

Your faces are so good - I love them!

They are Dina Wakley stamps.

1 Like

Let’s art journal together Sunday December 12 at 2pm Eastern time.

This video is called Space Storm and looks like good practice for blending.

Supplies needed:
Acrylic paints
Paint brushes
White pencil that will blend, like white charcoal, stabilo mark all, or water color pencil
Makeup brush or large round soft paint brush for blending

• I’m in
  • Not this time
0 voters
2 Likes

I voted to be in but I’m not sure I’ll be home in time to catch the beginning. If it’s okay, I’ll jump in when I’m home, I really want to see you people :smiley:

1 Like

tears apart her house looking for the makeup brushes she bought for the last zoom we did with blending

2 Likes

I took another stab at December’s prompts. I like this one better. It’s in a mini composition notebook that’s about 3”x5”

11 Likes

I love this!!! :star_struck:

I had plans shift on me so I’m not sure I’ll be around for Sunday. I’ll let you know if it looks like I can make it.

This is beautiful!

1 Like