Art Journaling Craftalong - 2022

These are so fun!

1 Like

Tonight’s Under the Influence page. We were inspired by the work of @scrapwitchlisa who’s work I’m in love with and want to spend more time studying/being inspired by now.

11 Likes

I am mesmerized by her videos on YT and Instagram. The way she adds paint and then removes with stencils is so cool.

2 Likes

I’ve been having a lot of fun with Terry Runyan’s Painting Happiness book recently. This is a couple of paintings I’ve done with the prompts:

Tulips:

Zebra, Transportation, UFO

10 Likes

Tulips in a fishbowl :joy::smiley:

1 Like

I made some ATCs inspired by the March prompt list.

(I realize this is probably slightly off-topic for the journaling craftalong since it’s not actually a journal craft. I’m posting it here as part of the requirements for entering it in the current site challenge and can delete if necessary when the challenge is over.)

5 Likes

I’m not the boss of this thread but I think it’s great that you used the prompts in your own way.

I love your use of the prompts!

May Art Journal Prompts

something flowery or floral
use only 3 colors
favorite art quote
use ribbon or fiber
add die cuts

2 Likes

Not sure if this is the right thread or not, but I am so happy with how my May art journal came out I had to share somewhere! I am doing the Messy May daily art journal challenge. Day 1 prompt was (partially) “bind a journal just for Messy May”. I started it yesterday and managed to finish in time today to also be able to do the second day challenge. Anyway…

This is a paper grocery bag journal: just two layers of standard paper grocery bag sewn between two layers of fabric. I did some collage on the cover (whale tail is a cricut cut that I water colored) and the lace and doilies are antiques from estate sales. My favorite is the binding though! I usually don’t like how standard junk journal binding looks, but using the eyelets changes the whole thing for me. Paper is mixed-media. This is def my favorite way to bind a journal that I have experimented with so far.

20220502_163704

20220502_163722

12 Likes

This is awesome!!

2 Likes

Wow, that’s fabulous!

I’ve had a bit going on and not much time to post, but all of you on this thread inspire me so much :two_hearts: please keep sharing your wonderful work!

3 Likes

I haven’t had much time for art journaling or even working with paper lately. But I did make a card for my mom for her birthday…and then left it at home when we traveled to see her. :stuck_out_tongue:
But she knows me and loves me, so all is good.

8 Likes

That’s beautiful! What techniques did you use? Sorry you left it at home! :woman_facepalming:

I was experimenting with homemade texture paste and a stencil, and I really can’t tell you which recipe one this was. I used a variety of techniques from one of our Zoom sessions last year. Acrylic paint, alcohol inks, and a roller were all involved.
This was actually cut from a bit larger piece to fit the card. I did mail it as soon as I got home.

1 Like

I did the exact same thing - mailed the card but left the gift on my desk at work!

Love that serene blue card…

1 Like

I really love how accessible this feels. I would bring this with me. And I don’t have enough words for how much i love the fabric and the lace and doilies.

Is the eyelet binding a known thing? I’m going to google to find out.

Edit. I absolutely have one of those tools. In with my sewing stash.

1 Like

No, I didn’t come up with it. I found it in a YouTube tutorial for binding a journal (maybe not a junk journal) that I think was several years old and now I can’t find it to give you a link - sorry! The paper bag cover is a 49Dragonflies tutorial, but she did not do the eyelets.

1 Like

I’ll check out that dragonfly tutorial! Thank you! I have some good fabric I might use. AFTER i finish my swap stuff! : )

Here is the link for the eyelet tool thing.

Voting is now open for the inspired along challenge, see the entries and vote here