Art Journaling Craftalong - 2022

I previewed the video quick and am really looking forward to this one! It looks really fun. I also really like her color palette and am currently trying to restrain myself from buying more paint :joy:

2 Likes

Today’s art journal page for week 4 of Wanderlust. I used a piece of masterboard from @megwell for the birdhouse. It feels a bit incomplete so I might keep adding to it.

15 Likes

I love it just as it is. A peaceful winter scene

3 Likes

^what she said!

3 Likes

The texture, the fantastic use of white space, the spot of red. It’s lovely.

2 Likes

Agreed, I love the scratchy effect for the nest and how the other layers just peek through subtly, so it looks open but there’s really a lot to it.

I’m starting a New Moon ritual of filling in one page on this big old calendar each month/moon, and journaling reflections and intentions on the opposite side (which is all empty lined space).

The title and border designs were already printed on the paper, not my penmanship. Lots of colorshifting acrylic paints on this, plus metallic, glitter, iridescent, and black paint over black paper, so it doesn’t photograph well, but you get the idea. :smile:

11 Likes

I love it just the way it is! Love love love!

What did you use for the delicious background texture?

2 Likes

There are layers of gesso all over and some tissue paper at the bottom.

2 Likes

I love the concept and what a great first page!

1 Like

This is stunning, and I would LOVE to know how you made it? Because I know what you started with! how did you get it so glowy! and and cloudy?

1 Like

Thanks! The glowy look came from the shimmery paints, which I guess have enough mica in them to stand out on the black.
We did a Zoom a little while back that was a space-storm scene (@jemimah 's piece that headlines this thread came out of it), and I wanted to practice more of it. I looooove clouds and want to learn how to make them, so this was a good exercise. In that video, the person uses a makeup brush for the blending, but several of us gave up on that and switched to using our fingers instead, and I did the same this time.
And, as usual, this was all experiment without knowing what I was going to get. My metallic silver craft paint wasn’t well mixed, so it was sheer luck that I got the bright silver up at the top, and nowhere else…which really is nice for nighttime clouds, and that’s what they eventually became. Lots of layers covering things that didn’t work, too.

2 Likes

Yes, the nighttime clouds are so evocative. What a beautiful start to your moon calendar!

2 Likes

I’m ready to Zoooooom… but do I have the wrong day/time?

2 Likes

Sorry I didn’t see you on the list. I’ll forward you the invite.

3 Likes

That was a super fun way to spend a very grey rainy morning. Thank you so much for all the inspiration everyone!

The layers underneath looked more like the video, but it ended up becoming something quite different.

13 Likes

Gorgeous! Love where you landed! Your dots have an organic movement to them too. Just love it.

Here’s my fun mess from today! Thanks for the dedicated art time. :heart:

11 Likes

Here’s my page from today

And here’s what the other background looked like at the end of the zoom

And here’s what it looks like now (still lots of layers to add but it needs to dry and I need to actually eat something so this is probably as far as I’ll get today). This one is for Wanderlust week 5

15 Likes

Very cool! I love the way the blue sections became focal points!

And the other piece is looking amazing! Can’t wait to see more. You are making me want to take on wanderlust one of these years (if I’m remembering correctly what this was for!).

1 Like

Yeah this one is for Wanderlust (edited because I forgot to add that at first). It’s not too late for 2022, we just started week 5 :wink:

2 Likes

Here’s my page. It was a fun video. I liked the free formness of it.

15 Likes