Art Journaling Craftalong - 2022

Fabulous pages!

I love how your doodles and marks dance across the page @Abbeeroad! The layering looks so great and spontaneous!

Your rectangular mark-marking is so neat and rhythmic @photojenn! It’s beautiful, and that page for Wanderlust is going to be amazing!

3 Likes

@jemimah awesome page. Love the direction you went.

@Abbeeroad i like all the white you added in. And your doodles look great.

@photojenn love the polka dots on the blue spaces and how your doodles frame the areas. And great start on the wanderlust page

3 Likes

Here’s my page for the February prompt.

For the recycled bit I used this piece from a package of lightbulbs

12 Likes

Here’s mine. I followed the video more philosophically than directly.

I think I ended up with 11 layers, which was about 5 beyond the point where I went, “but I don’t want to cover it up with a neutral!”, so I feel like I succeeded at the spirit of the prompt.

Here’s a shot with flash that I think picks up the bit of metallic paint I used in the dry brush layer.

12 Likes

Lol. I’m mentally planning to “treat myself” when the girls are out of daycare…we’ll see.

I love how your style comes through @geekgirl. The words are a great addition and love the recycle page!

Yes! @megwell! Push those boundaries! I love the continuous line and peeks of all those layers.

4 Likes

@geekgirl I adore your page from today - the balance with the patches of blue against all the textures in the harmonious warm colours is wonderful. And adding the text focal point was inspired (and immediately swiped by me lol). I love the February prompt piece too!

@megwell that is scribbletastic! I love the high-contrast energy and the feathery drybrush layer in there, it’s so cool!

3 Likes

Here are the pages I did a couple years ago that were similar to the style of today’s video

3 Likes

Such fun! What I’m picking up from all these pages is that somewhere along the way, building on the existing chaos brings it all under control- whether through a unifying element, painting over something, or making it the base of something else altogether (like a masterboard).
I’m glad several of you were there after several of us couldn’t make it.

5 Likes

@jemimah I love yours :heart: The flower really stands out without standing apart from the whole piece.

@Abbeeroad Yours is so fun and playful, it looks like it’s still in motion like water or a breeze is blowing over it.

@photojenn I love all the marks that are peeking through the layers. Your people look really interesting, I’m looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

@geekgirl I love how you added your sentiment. The colors you used are so cheery and the blue has some real depth to it. Your February spread is also amazing :heart: I love the black and white on red.

@megwell I really like the white spaces around/under the layers. the colors and marks really jump off the page

4 Likes

Mine is a complete MESS :sweat_smile: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Here’s what it looked like after the Zoom

…I wasn’t totally happy with it though…

…so here’s what it looks like now :grimacing:

I completely lost the background layers and I think I might have turned the piece to mud :stuck_out_tongue: Oh well. I might add more layers later and see what I get :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

Sorry we didn’t realize you were there all along. You popped onto my screen for a few minutes and then went away until the video was taken down.

Wait until I post mine, then you’ll see a real mess :smiley:

2 Likes

I had a connection issue or two then stayed quiet till I had to go :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Your page is so fun and playful…both versions! :laughing: The words are so fitting and I love that you weren’t afraid to cover what you did!

2 Likes

Here’s my work from yesterday … I didn’t realize I should have added more colour after doing the white so it’s much lighter than the others. I might play with it more. decided to leave it be as I like the brightness.

11 Likes

Fun! I love your mark-making! Looks like you did this in an old book? Very cool!

1 Like

Thanks. I’m using an old Dr Suess book from my childhood, copyright 1963, which makes it 2 years older than me.

1 Like

Here’s where my page ended up. Less layers than the instructor had and I wish I would have used a different color than pink for the front figure but I’m happy with how it came out.

Wanderlust has been challenging, in a good way, because so far all of the lessons have been waaaaaay outside of my comfort zone.

13 Likes

Well, I tried doing one with more coverup of the early layers, and it’s not as bad as my initial panic indicated. It’s still in progress, but here’s tonight’s stopping point (but imagine the colors aren’t washed out).

8 Likes

I think this is really showing in your work! It feels like you have grown so much as an artist in the past year or so. I hope you feel it too!

5 Likes

I think the pink is wonderful :smiley:

2 Likes