Astrid the fur baby

Recently I decided to work on some crafts for a local craft/vender show in October that supports the cat shelter that I volunteer with. I wanted to make something that people would like, obviously, and knew HP is always a hit. So, I hit up the most HP person I knew to see if we could do a trade for some charms to add to some ornaments. Not only did @MistressJennie send me the coolest charms, but an amazing package of a fabulous soap and scubbies too.
In return, I offered to draw her beloved dog Astrid. I wanted to draw again and needed something to spur me on.
I love drawing and rendering dogs because they are easier than cats for me. I am too close to cats and get overly critical of my own work. I also love rendering dog noses. They have so much texture and are big and cute.

After I was done, I tried it on a black background, but that washed it out, in my opinion. I had this gold one painted for a previous attempt and have been itching to use it. I LOVE the look of the gold with it. Astrid really pops, and it gives her a regal feel.

My favorite part was the ear on the left. It just turned out really interesting and had so many textures, etc. I also liked the subtle pink shading in it.

This was made using Copic markers, Black Copic liners, a white gel pen, Modge Podge, Marker paper, clear spray paint, and a 6" wooden cradleboard.

MistressJennie said she liked it, so it made me super happy. I am always nervous when I send artwork.
I am going to offer a couple of custom pet portraits in the STS again this year too.

32 Likes

That face! Looks just like Astrid. Your work is so amazingly detailed, and I love the gold background, too.

6 Likes

Beautifully done! I also love the ears…and the booper!

4 Likes

It is the spitting image!! Amazing!!! :exploding_head:

4 Likes

I love this SO hard! It is wonderful.

4 Likes

OMG this is so fabulous. You are such a terrific artist, wow.

5 Likes

Aaahhh! He’s adorable, you are so talented!

3 Likes

Stunning, this is exactly Astrid including the attitude. Love it!

3 Likes

She’s beautiful! You are so talented!

3 Likes

Awe. Thanks everyone. I was pleased with how it turned out. Jennie offered up some really good choices in photos, so that made it a lot easier. Astrid is a cutie!

6 Likes

I’m in LOVE, LOVE, LOVE with it. It’s even more amazing in person! I already hung it up. It’s across from a portrait of Ada that we just had printed on canvas, in the little hallway that connects our kitchen, powder room, laundry room, and garage, which means I walk by it constantly, and I can see it from my spot at our kitchen table. My parents even caught sight of it on a FaceTime call this morning, and even over the phone, they noticed it and commented on how amazingly accurate it is. Thank you so much @gozer!!!

8 Likes

It’s amazing how you can capture a pet’s spirit in markers! Little Astrid looks like she’s just about to hop off the canvas!

3 Likes

This is spectacular @gozer, wow!!!

2 Likes

:green_heart: :purple_heart: :blue_heart: Congratulations! Your amazing work is one of this week’s featured projects! :blue_heart: :purple_heart: :green_heart:

3 Likes

Awe. Thank you!

2 Likes

So cute! :yellow_heart: The gold around it did turn out very well. I thought this was a painting until you said you used Copics, wow! Too bad I don’t have a doggo (too much work for me), just my two kitty boys. Those eyes really grab you!

3 Likes

Astrid-nomical! Or something else that means AMAZING portrait!

4 Likes

Bahahah! How clever!

2 Likes

Wow that looks awesome, great job! The eyes are so expressive and adorable!

2 Likes

This looks amazing. You are so talented!! I love my portrait of Pilot that you did and people comment on how great it is all the time.

3 Likes