Autumn Hexagon Sweater

“Hexagon Sweaters” are pretty slick, and I had never made one before. I found 8 skeins of Knitpicks Comfy Sport at Goodwill for a buck each, supplemented with two each of three more colors in yellow/orange, and worked this up in a V stitch. The sweater works on a basic premise and I winged it from there. I ended up reworking the edging, and went with the bell sleeve instead of a gathered sleeve, and finished it up just in time for the weather here to turn chilly at night, but still hit the 90s during the day… I also had small amounts of each color left and decided to work up some African flower hexies with colors based on how much I had of each. I haven’t decided what I’m going to do with them yet. Maybe a tam and some arm warmers, or a cowl.

21 Likes

Looks really good, this would be my go to.

1 Like

Very pretty!

1 Like

Interesting color combination…very modern and yet retro…looks so comfy!

2 Likes

This is super cool and very striking! The bell sleeve really makes it.

1 Like

What great fall colors, and I love the unusual shape of the sweater! The little hexies are cute, too.

Is there something that makes it a “hexagon sweater”? I googled it, and the sweaters don’t look like they are based on any hexagons. (???) Or maybe I’m just missing something!

2 Likes

So. They are made like a large granny square, with square corners, but with six sides instead of four. As worked, they don’t lay flat. You have to fold them a specific way. One edge is the sleeve opening, the adjacent edges on either side of that one get sewn together to make the top edge of the sleeve, then the two edges next to those are the center front and center back, and the sixth edge is half the bottom hem. You sew two of them together up the back edge, and then you can sew the front as well if you want a pullover, or leave it open if you want a cardigan.

3 Likes

I love this, Im making one now and Im not sure Im doing it right :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

While working it I found it odd to wrap my head around, especially since the stitch pattern I chose resulted in not acually square corners. I started from a place of getting it, but it played with my head a little, maybe because I wasn’t following a pattern. Lol

2 Likes

Ah! I see now. Thanks for explaining.

1 Like

Squee!!! This is pretty!

1 Like

Great goodwill find! And you turned it into something super cool! Your stitches are perfection.

1 Like

At the same time as I found the purple, I found a bunch of Comfy Worsted, 6 skeins of lime green and 8 skeins of maroon. I grabbed three skeins each of coral and turquoise to make another hex sweater, and even though the maroon is an unexpected addition, I think it would work as a base if needed. But in the sport I had two full skeins of purple left, and only used one of the two skeins of yellow I bought. So I actually am fairly confident that in the Worsted, the 12 skeins of lime, coral, and turquoise would be plenty and I would still have 8 skeins of the maroon left for something else. Maybe a boxy spring sleeveless.

4 Likes

Wow!!

2 Likes

This is so great! What great colors!

1 Like

Congratulations! :tada: :tada: :tada:
Your phenomenal craft is a Featured Project! Thank you for sharing your talent and creativity with us!

1 Like