Baba Yaga's Tiny House

I created this tiny Baba Yaga house for @bunny1kenobi as part of the winter book swap because she likes dark folktales.

Baba Yaga is an evil, slavic witch known for eating children. In folk lore, her house has chicken legs and wanders the forest in search of children to steal away.

The house is a chipboard blank I purchased from AlphaStamps. I painted it and made the shingles for the roof by painting some card stock and cutting it into tiny rectangles, then glueing them in overlapping patterns. The chicken feet were molded from polymer clay and then painted.

I tried to attach the feet using screws…that didn’t go well. And when I added the feet the house was tilted at a steep angle backwards and kept falling over. A bit of quality time with my dremel and the tops of the feet fixed that. I gave up on the screws and just glued the feet. Then the roof popped off. Then the decorations I’d painted were all wrong. Then the feet were too far forward and had to be reglued. And the roof popped off again. In the end I got everything togehter but somewhere I’m sure Baba Yaga was cackling gleefully at my woes.

23 Likes

This is super adorable, and I love it! It’s amazing how much problem solving there is in crafting, your finished product looks amazing!

5 Likes

So cool! Way to persevere; well worth it!

2 Likes

Fabulous!
I love the story of your trials and travails, makes me know these are my people.

2 Likes

That is so cute! I love how you kept coming up with ideas until you made it perfect.

2 Likes

Your perseverance paid off. It’s awesome!!!

2 Likes

I love the angle of the legs. It looks like it is ready to find those kids. It makes it more dynamic and less static. And I love the little stack of bones by the door. This is fantastic!

2 Likes

Thanks for the tiny house love, everyone!

1 Like

This is eerily delightful!

2 Likes

Love this! I’ve always been fascinated with Baba Yaga’s chicken legged house and you made a great one!

2 Likes

I LOVE IT! And I think the legs look like they are getting ready to chase after errant children! Dinner!!!

All those amazing little details…

I had to chuckle about your challenges with this project because I had so many challenges making your swap package as well! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Such a perfect balance of cute and sinister, it turned out great!

2 Likes

This is great, I love all the little details, and the legs are very cool.
The way you tell the story of the making of this has created an image in my head of the house running around your desk while you chase it around trying to glue on some roof shingles :smile:

3 Likes

I would not have guessed from the photos that those shingles were made from cardstock. They look like little pieces of slim-cut wood!
I’m glad you were able to persevere and finish it.

2 Likes

:rooster: :heart: :house: Congratulations! Your awesome Baba Yaga’s Tiny House is a Featured Project this week! :house: :heart: :rooster:

2 Likes

Yay! Thank you!