Baby of Catan, the Blanket

I’ve made a baby blanket for each nibling (aside from my older nieces who were born before I learned to knit and crochet). Also, my twin nephews turn 2 on Saturday, and I still haven’t finished theirs. :woman_facepalming::joy: Anyway.

When my little brother and his wife announced they were pregnant, I asked if they had blanket color ideas and they said they would get back to me. Which is when I knew… they wouldn’t be getting back to me. :rofl: Suddenly, one day, it hit me. I’d actually had the idea to make a full-sized Catan board blanket as a wedding present, but it never materialized beyond one hexagon in each resource color.

Well, here was my chance to finally make the blanket I’d never gotten around to doing!

I used some photos from a time we all played together to lay out my board. So it’s not just a random set-up, but a fun memory.

And because it’s a baby blanket, I made a stuffed robber! 1, for baby cuddles. 2, if they ever want to use it as an actual board, a giant robber would make it extra fun. (I don’t think the blanket has gotten much use, but I always thought it would be fun to make road, settlement, and city pieces someday.)

At the last second (so please excuse aaaallllll the lovely creases), I decided to make a cover for the box I sent it in. Their names both start with “Co”, and I call them CoCo. They didn’t have a name picked out yet, so I kept with the Co theme, hence “Cobaby”.

21 Likes

This is awesome! I love that you used an actual game as a reference. So personal and unique. Great packaging too (wrinkles and all).

1 Like

This is a gorgeous blanket! The shape you got on that figure is excellent as well. What a special gift!

2 Likes

Super cute!

1 Like

How thoughtful and adorable!

1 Like

Neat idea and fun colors.

1 Like

OMG, I so love that blanket :heart_eyes: What a great idea!

1 Like

I love this so much! Cute blanket, fun memory, excellent game :wink: :heart:

2 Likes

This is absolutely fantastic!!! XD Do you have a pattern you can share? Love it so much!

1 Like

Thank you! I just did a plain hexagon for the individual pieces. For the gold/sandy border around of each piece, I used extended single crochet rather than double. For the blue/sea border, I made it up at the time and didn’t keep track. If I ever make another one, I’ll be sure to write it down.

1 Like

When I saw the gameboard, I thought the same. How can you not?? And how freaking awesome you made it! Cobaby will be so happy!!!