Backpack from ugly chambray shirt

I needed a backpack purse for summer. I prefer this type of bag for outings like the zoo, festivals, etc. I made everything from stash except the strap clips.

Here is the shirt I used for most of the bag.

I found several of these huge safety pins at a thrift store and knew I had to use one for the closure.

Here is an in-progress shot of the inside pocket. I used both cuffs to make a smaller pocket.

30 Likes

This is absolutely fabulous. I LOVE how you used the cuffs for the inside pocket, and I can see the button holes on the back loops…such fun nods to the shirt’s previous life. Love the patchwork and all that stitching, wow! I bet you’ll get a ton of compliments on it when you’re out and about this summer!

3 Likes

This is absolutely amazing! What a great way to resuse an old shirt and turn it into something beautiful! Fabulous, my friend!

1 Like

Ahhh I love this idea for a closure, I will have to keep it in mind (I’m planning a new summer bag too, woot). Does it seem fiddly or pretty quick/simple to adjust each time? Great job on the bag, hope you get lots of joy and use out of it!

2 Likes

The pin is not fiddly at all. I need to stitch the straps down. I do not like how the straps move every time I pick them up.

1 Like

Do the straps move so that you can wear it as a shoulder/crossbody purse? That’s what I did on a bag I made–the straps move around but I like being able to wear it differently

1 Like

That is a smart way to do it. I did not add loops to make it cross body. I probably should have.

This is amazing! I love how you were able to reuse so much, and we’re able to feature beautiful little bits of fabric.

1 Like

A true UPcycle - your bag is way better than a logo workshirt!

1 Like

Very, very cool!

1 Like

Fan-frikken-tastic! I’d want to wear this on the front so I could see it all the time, lol.
From the other convo about your jacket, I like how the lightest stitches show up the most. The contrast of light, dark, and blendy-similar tone/value is very cool though, makes the eye want to look closer. Beautiful work.

1 Like

:hibiscus: :blossom: :tulip: :sunflower: CONGRATULATIONS! Your beautiful craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :hibiscus: :blossom: :tulip: :sunflower:

1 Like

Thank you for pointing that out. I think I found new fabrics(I will post them later). Once they arrive I am going to test yellow and white with regular embroidery thread before ordering sashiko thread.

This is so fun. I love all the different fabrics.

1 Like

What an amazing transformation! I love that you took something you found ‘hideous’ and lovingly created a completely new and different item from it. The patchwork gives it such a fun and colorful look and the stitching is a visual treat! The cuff pocket is super creative and I really like the vintage safety pin closure! I hope you get a lot of use out of it this summer and that it brings a smile to your face each time you take it out!

1 Like

I don’t know what I can say that hasn’t already been said! You combined all of the various bits in such a beautiful way! Such gorgeous bag!

1 Like

I love this! It’s also giving me ideas for all of the shirts I stole from my fathers house after he passed. I’ve been holding onto them so I could turn them into something.

1 Like

Oh, that would be such a special way to use his shirt. I love that idea. :heart:

1 Like