Badass skirt

Hi you crafty bunch!

Guess what, guess what! I still haven’t got my new craft room set up fully yet, buuuuut I cracked out my sewing machine and overlocker and knocked up my very first sew in our new house :grin:

I thiiink I actually bought this fabric planning to make summer shorts or trousers, but when it came round to it I thought this pattern would work great for it, plus since I didn’t have enough of it to add a floofy ruffle to the bottom I realised that the leftover sequin lace that I used on my wedding petticoat would be perfect on the hem!! Plus our 5th wedding anniversary (and my birthday!) is tomorrow! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

OMG seriously where did all that grey hair come from!!! Time to unpack the box with the hair dyes in, I dyed it pink before we moved but it barely lasted 2 washes, bah. Oh and yes I somehow put my top on inside out so please ignore the glaring white tag…

To take it up a notch, of course I added pockets because you can never have enough pockets, and I hacked it to add some built in stretch shorts to match the ‘yoga’ waistband in a black rib fabric so I don’t have to worry about the old ‘chub rub’!

I’m wearing my skull sunnies just to try and badass it up a bit too btw. Tho it’s hard to come across as a badass when you get caught twirling…

Not sure what’s next on my sewing list, but I’m doing my first craft fair for 2 years on Saturday (and obv wearing this skirt, tho I miiiiight not wear a sheer top!) so I might use the time to have a think about what I want to make next!!

:boom: I got the red tartan summer fabric from Pound a Metre, and the black rib stretch fabric from Minerva

:boom: I used the Bonnaroo skirt by George and Ginger, and for the shorts I used the G+G Darcey pants pattern and shortened them, which used to be a free pattern, but I think they must have been retired or something as I can’t find them :thinking:

Hope you like! :sunglasses:
Loops xx

30 Likes

That skirt is indeed very badass. :smiley:

1 Like

I enjoy your posts so much because you can tell that you truly enjoy sewing and making lovely things for yourself! You have such fun with your clothes! I love the black trim peeking out so much!

3 Likes

You inspire me.

1 Like

I love the shorts to protect from chub rub, that should be an option for most skirts / dresses. As well as the necessary pockets!!

1 Like

Very nice! (and +10 for the built-in bloomers.)

2 Likes

It’s lovely!

1 Like

You beautiful twirling badass! The skirt and all it’s details are magnificent!

1 Like

Love it and your adorable (errr badass) poses!!

1 Like

Badass to the max! Love the fabric and the trim is such a sweet touch. You look great and I love the shorts hack too!

1 Like

That skirt is so rad.

1 Like

@AIMR I’ve been told that I’m such an enigma because I’m agoraphobic and so socially anxious that I don’t like people to talk to me irl, and yet I like to make clothes that stand out and make people want to talk to me, lol! I just like to have fun with my clothes tho!!

@Lynx Awww thank you, you made my month :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I hope I can continue to inspire you!

@thanate Bloomers… best word ever…

And :heart_eyes: to everyone else. I didn’t end up wearing it to my [outside] craft fair on Saturday as it was absolutely p*ssing it down in the morning, but I will be wearing it on Friday when my Uni friends come for our first get together for a couple of years :smiley: And I defo plan to make one or two more with different fabrics!

3 Likes

Congrats! Your project is one of this week’s featured projects! You are awesome!

2 Likes

I love the skirt. That fabric would have made pretty bad ass pants too. Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!

1 Like

Super cool skirt, and extra awesome for adding pockets!

1 Like

You look gorgeous in your awesome skirt!

1 Like

@kittykill Aww yey, thank you!

@whatthepuck I’m kinda still tempted to make trousers as they still have the fabric in stock, or even this skirt but with trousers instead of shorts :exploding_head:

@MightyMitochondria :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

This is very awesome, and you twirl in a very badass way! I love clothes that are unique and fun :star_struck:

1 Like

Lovely! It’s great to see a new garment!

1 Like

Congrats! Your project was one of the best of 2021! You are awesome!

1 Like