Banana Cake w/Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting

When you have some suddenly very ripe bananas to deal with, but your plans to make banana muffins go awry when you realize that you don’t have baking sode, you have to pivot. Fortunately, while in the process of looking for said baking soda, I came across several boxes of cake mix. They are well past their “best by” date, but since it was only dry goods, and we’re in the middle of a pandemic, I figured, “Why not?”

So, I prepared the cake according to the package directions and folded in the mashed bananas. I had some cream cheese frosting (the kind that comes in a little plastic container) leftover from my Pi Day cake. So, I scooped it into a bowl, added in a scoop of peanut butter and popped it in the microwave. Note: Sixty seconds in the microwave liqufies the frosting… but not the peanut butter. But, the peanut butter was softened, so I carefully stirred to blend it in. Then, since it was so liquidy, I just poured it over the cake and spread it around. Easiest frosting job ever!

The end result? Pretty darn tasty!

image image

10 Likes

Yum! I would totally eat this.

I wish I could send you some because I’m the only one in the house who will eat it. I wonder how well it would freeze… that way I can save some for later!

1 Like

It will freeze just fine I think

1 Like

I think so, too! I’ll just need to clear some space in the freezer. I think I’ll pre-freeze pieces of it before I wrap it, then I’ll wrap it tightly and pack it up in a bundle.I just found some donuts I had frozen at some point, and while they weren’t quite the same as fresh, they still tasted good when I warmed them up!

1 Like

what a great cake AND frosting hack! it looks yummy too. but then again, what does not taste better with peanut butter on it, I ask you?

2 Likes

I can’t think of a thing! I had given up peanut butter for a while, switching to sun butter, and that first taste of peanut butter today… so good!

This reminds me of a sheet pan peanut butter cake I used to make. Same frosting! I may have to streas bake this weekend

1 Like

Right there with ya, @bethntim!

2 Likes

Stress baking is good! It’s the stress eating that’s the problem :wink:

2 Likes

Way to use what you have on hand! That frosting hack is genius!

1 Like

Looks yummy and I love peanut butter anything!

1 Like

Such a good combo!! I make something like this for Elvis’ birthday sometimes. :joy:

1 Like