Barn Owl coin purse

For my One Tiny Thing Swap partner @artsycandice, I made a coin purse with a felt Barn Owl appliqué, as she mentioned liking owls. (Using your photos, @artsycandice, as I cannot find my final photos!)

As most stores near me are shut down completely, I resorted to using supplies in my crafting stash. I also upcycled an old costume prop. For a Wodehouse Society convention many years ago, I made a felt “slice of veal and ham pie” to help me portray a waitress that Bingo Little falls in love with. I de-stuffed it and used the felt from one side to make the owl, along with a scrap of white wool felt I had. I sewed the owl in layers, and added beading for the stomach feather colors. I tried stitching on the wing to make more smooth feather texture.

For the purse, I used two fabrics I had … one in lovely soft tones of brown for outside, and a colorful cotton inside.

I used a 3” coin purse frame, sew-on version.

I had so much fun making the owl, and this was the first time I ever used a purse frame. I learned a lot and looking at it now I want to snatch it back and fix it all! Hee. Ah, craft swap anxiety. LOL

24 Likes

Sweet!!
I love barn owls, well owls in general! :owl:

I looked at all the photos before reading so I thought you had added a felt egg to the inside of the coin purse which might have been clever if it didn’t look like a cooked egg. I will make a point of reading before I look at all the great pictures in the future! lol!!

2 Likes

This is really pretty and great way to use stash to gather supplies during this time, or any time for that matter! The owl is beautiful and perfect for Artsycandice!

3 Likes

I love that you found a way to create your project by sourcing recycled materials. Those metal bag frames have always intrigued and intimidated me at the same time… Your purse came out so nice, especially since it was your first attempt at using a metal frame!

2 Likes

I absolutely ADORE this project! And love you showed where the stash came from!!

I do like stitching felt. As you stitch it down, it starts to give it such texture and life. @roler is a MASTER at this as well! She was the first one to inspire me to stitch and embellish felt, and I love to see how others make magic with it!

Excellentito!!

4 Likes

Very sweet!

2 Likes

This is very sweet. You did a great job.

2 Likes

These frames have always intimidated me! Still do kinda. :wink: But I really liked the sew-on version. It was easier than I thought!

1 Like

so cute!!! :owl: :slight_smile:

1 Like

How adorable and thrifty!

1 Like

This is soooooo cute!! :slight_smile: Awesome job, and I love the Wodehouse history. XD

1 Like

It is precious. I love it even more knowing its story. My little toast owl. lol
I don’t see a single thing that needs to be fixed. It is perfect. Thank you!

2 Likes

This is beautifully done! I’m loving how so many of us are choosing more resourceful paths to come up with crafting supplies! Such a clever bunch! :grin:

1 Like

I loved this project so much! From your using up from what you had to the tiny owl…the inside fabric is just so beautiful…and, you made something practical as well!

I think this period has forced a lot of us to think what is important to us and how we can be thankful for what we have on hand…

Beautiful

2 Likes

Ack! So charming! I love the colorway of this little coin purse and the lining fabric is swoony.