Batik Rope Basket

When I mentioned that I was looking for some focal pieces for my assemblage projects, @thanate jumped in so we became partners in the most recent IYP.

I wasn’t sure what she wanted in return from me since she does a lot of the same crafts I do. Boy, was I glad to learn that she wanted a rope basket. Not that she couldn’t make one herself, but, like a lot of us, we don’t always have the time or push to make things for ourselves!

When I asked for colors, she said…"
“um, I like colors… :rofl:
forest colors (greens & browns, maybe some gray & yellow or red/orange too?), or a bunch of different water-esque tones (blue/teal/green), or rainbow… Pick some things that look good together & have fun, I think.”

I think I got all of those in… :blush:

I love making these…so next IYP, if anyone is interested… :grin:

Thanks for looking!

19 Likes

Sign me up!

1 Like

Love it!! I might need one in red, black and gray…. :thinking::wink:

1 Like

11/10, would recommend! :grin:

2 Likes

I love how you finished this with that little swirl! A cute detail, that totally hides the awkward end of the rope.

2 Likes

Thank you! There are a few nice ways to deal with the end, but this is my favorite.

Another trick is to mark with a pin when you start shaping the bowl. It will help you make it more “even” since a spiral can go on forever! I try to about 8 inches from the pin to start the coil so it ends up with the start.

I left the plastic inner part in the rope to make the basket stiffer and adjusted the zig-zag not to hit it…well, mostly…broke 4 needles when I missed! :grin:

2 Likes

What a stunner Linda, really gorgeous.

1 Like

Thanks…the colors are much more vivid…@thanate’s pictures are better…we have had some dreary weather so picture taking makes everything “cloudy”…

1 Like

This is great! I love baskets like these!

1 Like

I love this basket, the colors are perfect. I used to make these and just forgot about them.
Thank you for the beautiful example.

I love these bowls. They look so fun and are still functional!

Beautiful! I love the color palette you went with!

…and that reminds me, I have some rope and some sari silk ribbon left… I should make one for the Garage Sale… Jennie goes in search of rope, only to remember she better finish that tote bag on her cutting table first…

2 Likes

I am out of rope, but I forgot about my big ball of sari ribbon! I’ll put it on my list for when I get resettled!

2 Likes

All those colors together sure are gorgeous!!!

1 Like