Bay Buds flower market installation WIP looking for some feedback for future additions

This is a WIP of my major project for this year (and probably beyond :wink: ). I’m building a 3d embroidered felt installation of a street market and this is “Bay Buds”, the flower stall. Its very much work in progress as you can see. The base felt size is wrong, there are parts missing and mocked up in paper and my photos are terrible. But I’d love some honest feedback on some aspects I’m stuck on especially the background, things you would add, etc. I’m thinking a market awning, a red wheelbarrow for some flowers, more stepping stones, perhaps another octopus plus accesories at least. This is a vanity project for me to enjoy and not for any purpose, although eventually I might lend it out to libraries etc because I reckon kids would like it. I’m inspired by Salley Mavor and Sesame Street artistically. Eventually I see a whole street of little felt sculpture vendors. Stay tuned!!!

17 Likes

That looks amazing! So much work, but great characters!

1 Like

Wow!! This is wonderful! I can see the Sesame Street influence. Love that concept. I am at a loss for suggestions to help you add more, but I’m looking forward to updates!

1 Like

I caught the Sessme Street vibe as well. Those little Octopi are especially adorable! Love the little backpack!

2 Likes

I love the bright colors and wacky characters. I want to see more like this!

Suggestions, because you asked: look at photos of real flower stalls to add authenticity. Flowers are usually clustered by type, not all mixed together. Maybe a stairstep display, giving different heights.
I’d like to see more vertical elements, like skinny trees (or maybe kelp, because octopi). That could be painted or appliqued on the background. You have a really cool tree in a pot, love that technique.

Which character is the flower seller? Is it the leaf critter with the basket? Maybe give them an apron with the shop logo…

For me, there needs to be some reason for the sea creatures. Like, is this the Octopus’s Garden? Is it all under water, or are octopi roaming the streets? I am often far too literal for fantasy pieces; I think it really slows me down. On the other hand, it lets me research and get ideas from real places.

If underwater, the floor could be patches of sand, with rocks and shells and plants and scuttling crabs. If on a city street, then gum-spotted pavement with grass growing in the cracks…

I look forward to seeing more of your work!

3 Likes

So cheery and charming! What a delightful labor of love you’re making!

1 Like

Thanks for these wonderful suggestions, Steiconi and for everyone’s lovely comments. So many good ideas to follow up! I’m agreeing with you about the reason to have sea creatures and land elements combined more clear in the visual elements - the actual location inspiration is Moreton Bay Queensland and the Redcliffe Markets which are held on the sea shore. So vertical elements like the giant pine trees on the seashore should be there. I also agree about the seller. Bud Leafling needs some ID as the flower seller. As does Shelley Beaches, the lady with the “dog” Fifi, as the teacher of the wayward octopus class group. And the stepped display of flowers… Goody, more ideas to add!! Many many thanks😍

5 Likes

This is fantastic, your creatures are so brilliant! I especially like the orange guy with his coffee, the pose and face are really expressive. I’m looking forward to seeing more progress pics!

1 Like

Cool! I knew Shelley wasn’t the flower seller because of her purse! Really nice personalities coming through, and I love the idea of a specific junction of land and sea.

1 Like

What an amazing piece so far. These characters are all such works of art. I LOVE the idea of the market awning! The little character with the pom pom mohawk is the absolute best and I love those snake plant looking things. I can’t wait to see more!!!

3 Likes

This is SO cool! I love little felt creatures! These are absolutely adorable. I have made a few, and I know how long these things take. You have dedication! I adore the octopus eyes and that backpack - I squeaked with joy. The “dog” is so creative and fun. I see lots of Henson’s inspiration.
I think the Awning would make it more clear that it is a market and a little stone path would be very cute.

2 Likes