BBQ Sauerkraut and Sausage Tutorial

Whenever my mother made barbecued pork or sausage, she would make bbq sauerkraut with the meat in the same pan. She had a simple recipe of ketchup, brown sugar, water, and a little vinegar for her sauce. The kraut was well drained and rinsed before adding to the pan. She simmered it all and the aroma filled the house, making our mouths water in anticipation. There were never any leftovers.

Recipe:
sg-kraut1
1 package of mild rope sausage, cut into 2 inch lengths (approx. 2 pounds)
1 package of homemade sauerkraut (approx. 2 pounds)
Sauce: 1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup ketchup
water to make desired consistency
1-2 tsp vinegar
Mix sauce ingredients together until sugar is dissolved. Taste and alter amounts to your preference.

Brown the sausage chunks. While cooking, rinse the kraut well in cold water and drain.
sg-kraut2
Add the kraut to the sausage. Pour the sauce mixture into the pan.
sg-kraut3added
sg-kraut4

Stir well. Cover the pan, turn heat to low, and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Stirr occasionally.
When finished, the bbq sauerkraut and sausage will look like this:
sg-kraut5

It tastes delicious!
sg-kraut6plate

Options: Add sliced onions, green pepper, or shredded purple cabbage to the meat and kraut. Cook all together. @KaeGalla

6 Likes

I am not a fan of sauerkraut but this recipe sounds like it would be delicious!

Hubby likes to make reuben sandwiches and buys sauerkraut but we always have leftovers that seem to go to waste…next time, I’ll have him get some sausages!

Thanks for the recipe…I will pin it on the fridge…mmmmm I love BBQ anything.

1 Like

Yum! Best way to have kraut!:blush::sparkling_heart:

1 Like

@AIMR I am also not a fan of sauerkraut, unless prepared this way lol. Isn’t it funny how our tastes differentiate certain things. Briney foods were never my thing. If you and DH decide to make this, please let me know how you like it. I wonder how bbq kraut would be on a sandwich. When growing up, bbq sauce was a luxury that wasn’t purchased so mom made hers “to taste” and approximated her ingredients in her cookbook.

Our neighbor happens to make homemade kraut that is out of this world delicious. It has us spoiled to the point where no other sauerkraut will do. It freezes well, too.

Glad you like it, Kidlet! :heart_decoration::green_heart::heart_decoration:

2 Likes

This looks delish! I think I need to add sausages and sauerkraut to my shopping list :slight_smile:

1 Like

That looks so delicious. I’m searching for a BBQ sauce that isn’t too sweet, when I find a good one I’m making this. My kids will love it! The man, not so much maybe. We are part Ukrainian, he is not. Cabbage has become an issue between us, lol.

1 Like

I love sauerkraut. This sounds yummy.

1 Like