So I saw an amazing quilted plague doctor mask pattern (Pattern Here - Tumblr) and thought I’d try it, but I didn’t have any fusible fleece and without it, honestly, it was too floppy. But when I folded down the top part, I realized… the beak part worked really well. Really well! I was able to cut it so it molded super-well to my face (so much so it became the basis for several other patterns I’ve been working on!) and the beak held itself up really well. I texted a picture to some friends, one of whom is a big BIG fan of birds (has 4) and… well, The Beak was born…
(pictured on Mr. Creepy Frog since it wasn’t for me!)
Here’s a picture of another one, made out of the fabric I was trying to make the full mask out of on me (excuse me looking like a hot mess, I’d been sewing for hours at this point!)
The original overly floppy mask:
In progress sewing/mess shots:
You can kinda see in the second shot how/where I cut the original pattern, if you’re interested in doing something similar I suggest making a paper pattern and cutting that to fit!
It’s surprisingly comfortable, and I love the fact that there’s nothing pressing up against your mouth. Mine is just a layer of interfacing and one layer of cotton fabric, but you could add a lining.