Bee Mounted Art

I made this piece for the 4x6 art swap.

I always love doing this swap, but then I struggle to think of a subject that is more universal and that I hope everyone will like. I decided to go with a bee this time.
I tried something new with the background and had it fade and then used the clear Copic marker to add the dots to it, kind of like pollen was floating in the air. I was happy with the results and will play with this technique some more. I normally do solid backgrounds.
I also added shimmer to the bees wings with Spica pen, and some white highlights with an Ultra Posca pen. I love how thin the ultras are!
After I finished it, I wanted it to be a little more substantial than just a piece of paper, so I got some unpainted cradle board on Amazon and mounted it. I was really pleased with how it turned out. I coated it all with matte Mod Podge and sealed that with a clear coat.

From the side.

Here is what my partner @pioneer9 's image. i forgot to get a good one, that’s why there are glares on shadows on mine. :crazy_face:
Bee

Thanks for looking!

33 Likes

This is absolutely amazing! You are so talented!

2 Likes

I am so proud to own this :slight_smile: It’s sitting on my bookshelf and always makes me smile.

1 Like

Awe. I am so glad you like it. Like I said, picking the subject matter is so hard for me.

What a treat in such a small package! It’s always such a life-affirming thing to see such care, time, and thought going into a 4x6 piece for a swap!

1 Like

Such a fuzzy bee buddy, how sweet is that?

1 Like

Oh, my! He’s perfect! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::two_hearts: I love the background effect you made; what a wonderful way to turn something that wasn’t going the way you expected into something with depth and warmth. I love bees and bee art, and this poofy little pollinator is absolutely precious.

1 Like

Just a beautiful work of art. I love the way the flower petals subtly extend beyond the piece. Mounting it really elevated it as well.

1 Like

You really managed to get a lot of depth and texture…the inside of the flowers, the fuzzy bee…well executed and always a favorite subject. Just beautiful.

1 Like

It’s absolutely stunning!

1 Like

Gorgeous! I love the bee and flowers of course (so detailed and beautiful!) and love the things you did to give it extra visual interest, like those floating dots and the way the flower extends past the borders of the picture. Great mounting, too!

1 Like

This is amazing! Beautiful! :slight_smile:

1 Like

:honeybee: :art: :yellow_heart: Congratulations! Your bee-autiful project has been Featured this week! :yellow_heart: :art: :honeybee:

2 Likes

Sqquuueeeeee, I love bees and I absolutely love your art, that’s so amazing!!!

There we go… I resisted the urge to say that it was BEE-autiful… oh hold on, nope, I just said it, dangit!! :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

So realistic that I can almost hear the bee buzz! So gorgeous!!!

1 Like

I love how it turned out!

1 Like

I love bees!

I cannot believe what a fluffy butt this bee looks like. So a pretty piece!

1 Like

You really captured the furry little bee. And the flowers and background are beautiful!

1 Like

This is so gorgeous! I love how you’ve created a sense of sunlight and life in it.

1 Like