Bellflower and Butterfly Ear Cuff

Last year I made a cherry blossom ear cuff with an iridescent blue butterfly. It was one of my early attempts at dip resin, and although it turned out well, and I had intended to keep it for myself, it ended up turning into a gift.

I knew I could make a better one, and actually started working on it in October, before I lost steam - my hours at work got cut and I had to start looking for a new job. I’m still hunting for a new job, but I left my old position (it was too stressful cramming too much work into too little time) so I’m feeling a bit less stressed out and have lots of time to work on projects.

I wanted this ear cuff to have a bit of a high fantasy, maybe art nouveau feel - but with a traditional Japanese motif as a twist. I’m a big fan of bellflowers, and trailing petals, and it came together a lot easier than I thought it would. I’ve struggled with shidare (the strings of petals) in the past, but I feel a lot more confident in my technique now.

I have a lot more tsumami craft related projects planned for this year, but I’m not sure if I’ll be doing another ear cuff any time soon. The string binding at the end took almost two hours on its own. x_x

18 Likes

Wow that’s some really detailed work! Very pretty :cherry_blossom:

3 Likes

Stunning work!

2 Likes

It’s so pretty.

2 Likes

Well worth the time & effort, it’s lovely!

3 Likes

Really beautiful work. I’m glad to hear you found some steam and have been crafting again.

2 Likes

Whimsical! I love the hanging pieces.

2 Likes

That is beautiful. So many little details.

2 Likes

Wow, so beautiful! It’s like when you wear it you are taken into another, enchanted world :fairy:

2 Likes

The colors are gorgeous. It feels very dainty and ethereal. I don’t understand at all how you made it, but I’m a fan!

2 Likes

How inspiring! Bell flowers, dip resin, iridescent blue butterflies…I want to try it all!

2 Likes

That’s lovely! The flowers are perfectly shaded and puffed.

2 Likes

Your ear cuff is stunning, I can’t imagine the work that went into it.

Good luck on the job hunt!

1 Like

Such a gorgeous piece. It definitely took many hours and will look awesome whenever you wear it. May you find the job of your dreams!