Best paper/fabric cutting system?

I’m looking at getting a scanNcut because it will cut out a freehand drawing. Does anyone have experience with one of these machines? Or have a better suggestion?

2 Likes

I have a cameo silhouette and I’ve used a cricut. The scanncut looks cool, but more expensive. I mostly design in Fusion 360 or Inkscape and then export to the silhouette software to cut. Sometimes I design in the native software if it’s just text or something.

1 Like

Ah, very cool, thank you!

1 Like

Following this just to see what people suggest.

I got a small silhouette because I wanted to be able to cut stickers but am finding it hard to use. It might be totally different if you were starting with your own creations rather than files from other people though.

1 Like

I have a Silhouette machine that I love (though I haven’t used it in forever)! I find the silhouette studio program pretty intuitive and easy to use, plus there are a gazillion tutorials available.
Silhouette offers a pixscan mat that allows you to cut out freehand drawings.
You can download the silhouette studio program and see how you like working with it.

1 Like

Ah, great, thank you for that info! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had no idea about that a machine like the ScanNCut existed. I thought I was moving up in the world when I received a Big Shot. I was buying all the fiddliest die cuts for my papercrafting.

1 Like

I’m just trying to “cut down” on my cutting time. :wink:

1 Like

I have a scan n cut and I love it. I do not have a PC, just a Chromebook, so cricut and sillhouette were not options for me. I also have Parkinson’s so fussy cutting is difficult. The scan n cut is not perfect, but it cuts stamped images, embellishments from paper pads, and cut files. Plus it can draw. I do recommend it, it has made my crafting much more fun.

4 Likes

Welcome! Thanks so much for the recommendation. I will be following this thread for the info.

1 Like

Sharon, first, WELCOME! :tada: Second, thank you! That is actually helpful information as I’m looking at an option to work with all of the equipment I may have to use, including my poor chrome book which sits in the corner jealous of my other technology. :wink:
My sympathies with Parkinson’s, our family has also been unfortunately effected. I’m happy that you are still crafting! This community no doubt will bring you a lot of joy!

1 Like

Thanks! If you have any questions about the scan n cut let me know and if I can help I will.

3 Likes

The nice part about the scan n cut is that it does not require a computer at all, but if you want to use the program for it, Canvas Workspace, it is cloud based and you can use it on your phone, tablet, Chromebook, PC or Mac.
I’m so sorry that you and yours are dealing with PD too. I wish you all the best, and look forward to sharing crafty fun!

3 Likes