Big Blue Wibbly Wobbly Knitting Bag

This bag is a subtle nod to Doctor Who. It’s big and blue, but it’s bigger on the inside. And, I’ll be toting around the Doctor Who scarf (commission) in it as I work on it.

I didn’t use a pattern, just a general “I know how to make a zipper pouch and I know how to make a tote bag so I can figure out how to put those things together” project.

Everything but the webbing for the straps was from stash (woo!). To give the bag some structure, I quilted the main panels to some heavy interfacing and quilt batting. That did not go so well, as the pinwale corduroy has some stretch to it…lots of bunching that was, thankfully, mostly hidden by the bottom panel and the pockets.

There are two outside pockets and two inside zipper pockets. The lining is a space print and the inner pockets are lined in book/library fabric…see, bigger on the inside and loaded with ‘weapons.’ The outer pockets are lined in a great grey/cream print with anoles and poppies.

It’s 18" wide x 13" tall x 6" deep.

18 Likes

Cool tote and great fabrics!

1 Like

Love all the thoughtful details!

1 Like

Love that you used your stash! It really does look bigger on the inside!

1 Like

Yay, use the good stuff! Lovely fabrics, great job!

1 Like

It turned out super nice! All those lovely features really do make it bigger on the inside!

1 Like

Great execution and I LOVE a little stealth fandom action. Perfect choices.

1 Like

Thank you!

I really did use the good stuff, @Magpie - some of those fabrics have been in my stash for more than a few years. I bought the space print to make masks a couple years ago, but couldn’t bear to cut it up… it’s pretty much gone now. And I used up almost all the corduroy left over from making lederhosen for my DS1. I still have some of the cute, lizard print left, though. :relaxed:

2 Likes

I love the bag! I love that it’s a Doctor Who inspired bag that will be carrying the DW scarf that you’re making. What an adorable idea. :slight_smile: It looks super well made, too.

2 Likes

This is awesome! Perfect lining fabric choices. :wink:

1 Like

Beautiful job!

1 Like

Thank you! I’m really happy with how it turned out - I just sort of threw it together yesterday. I used a paper grocery bag to make a pattern for the main pieces and just winged the rest. There are 15 balls of yarn (4oz. worsted) in there, so it’s huge!

Wow! That IS huge! Sweet!

1 Like

That is SUPER COOL! I love that you’re using it for your Dr. Who scarf project! :grin:

2 Likes