Birthday Cakes!

Hi everybody!
My birthday was June 7th and so was my nephew’s! He turned 3 and I turned 43, he was my favorite 40th birthday present!
I made his cake and my cake, rather simple
I baked 4-9 inch yellow cakes, stacked 2 of the then cut a small amount off each stack to give it a flat side then slid them together to roughly make a figure 8. I crumb coated it then after it had chilled I drew a rough “3” shape with a toothpick and started filling it in with frosting. I’ve found that if I am trying to frost something with a smooth finish if I take a wet paper towel and place it on top then rub/press it with my fingertips the buttercream frosting comes out beautifully smooth. I decorated it with construction cake toppers
Here are some progress pics

the finished product

the happy recipient (with his “3” construction shirt I made as well

My sister-in-law (his mother) is allergic to eggs so I had to make a cake that she and I could share because it’s not fair to have a party and not have something for everyone! So I decided to make a Shirley Temple cake with a soda/boxed cake mix recipe (thanks Pinterest)
This is the simplest recipe ever!
1-12oz. can Sprite (not diet)
1 box yellow cake mix
1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
24 maraschino cherries
Mix all ingredients and pour into greased and floured bundt pan. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes. Turn out and glaze with 1 cup powdered sugar 1/4 cup cherry juice (from the maraschino cherry jar)
Look how pretty!
(not pictured:the glaze)
My sis-in-law loved it and was SO happy she could have cake with us

12 Likes

They look ammmmazing! And that smile proves it!

1 Like

That’s a fantastic decorating job! Also, I’m intrigued and utterly delighted by the thought of a Shirley Temple cake. I’ve found my next baking project!

1 Like

That is so cool! Look at that smile!

1 Like

What great cakes! So fab!

1 Like

These cakes are awesome!! The construction cake looks amazing and the Shirley Temple cake sounds delicious!

1 Like

So so cute! And it was so nice of you to bake a second one so everyone could enjoy cake!

2 Likes

These are both uniquely awesome! I think I could actually pull of the Shirley temple one! :laughing:

1 Like

This looks fantastic! What 3 year old wouldn’t love it.

1 Like

What a special cake for your nephew!

1 Like

I just love your nephew’s face- he is obviously thrilled! And, I’ve never heard of a Shirley Temple cake, but I might have to give it a try. It sounds delicious! But, I’ll have to make it for an occasion, because I really shouldn’t eat that many maraschino cherries by myself :laughing:

1 Like