Black Cat Art Doll

I made this for @Immaculata in the Halloween Advent Swap. It’s a little black cat doll. I sculpted its head in super sculpey then covered it in some black velvet. I glued down the velvet and stitched it closed along the sides. I then cut holes in the fabric around the eyes to reveal the painted eyes beneath. I made a simple soft body in muslin fabric then made an outfit that I slipped on over the body and gathered the ends around the paws that I had made soft with the same velvet I covered the head in. I made a felt treat bag and filled it with batting then topped it off with glue and beads to suggest candy. There is a loop at the back for hanging. I am a huge proponent of putting things on the walls.
I enjoyed making this piece so much.

25 Likes

Wow, this is so cool! Love that you used the velvet.

3 Likes

I am totally jealous of this! I LOVE the eyes, the costume, and especially the bag

3 Likes

What a sweet Halloween Kitty! I love it!

3 Likes

What a sweet little kitty! I love his retro Halloweeny jumpsuit! The little ruffles! The punkin buttons! Really cute.

3 Likes

It’s so perfect! The details are brilliant. His little bag full of candy. The buttons on his suit. The ruffles, the gold lace.

Mr Bones is unhappy that someone stole his spot.

5 Likes

Oh, he is fabulous!

3 Likes

That’s just precious! I love the eyes!

3 Likes

The ruffles are killing me with cuteness! The little bag is so clever too.

3 Likes

Wow, you do such amazing work! What a great idea to cover him in velvet. And that outfit you made is adorable. You must’ve put a ton of time into this and it shows in all the details!

3 Likes

So cute!!!

2 Likes

I love him so much! This is beyond cool. I love the entire thing. From his adorable face to his perfectly done outfit. Piece of art! Love him!!!

3 Likes

Awww, thank you. :kissing_heart:
I love making dolls. I just don’t get the opportunity very much these days. This was the perfect excuse. lol

1 Like

It’s cute but kind of creepy.

1 Like

This is so cool! I love the idea of sculpting, then covering it with fabric. Mixed media pieces like this are my favorite!

2 Likes

Not sure how I missed seeing this…everything about your black cat is perfect! The doll’s face, the fabrics you chose for its outfit, the pumpkin buttons…everything!

2 Likes

Awww. Thank you.