Black forest cake

My older son had his 11th birthday on Sunday and he had requested a black forest cake. I was honestly relieved not to have to make a sheet cake and draw something on it in frosting, which is usually what the kids want. I am not a good cake decorator. I was proud of this because it looks sooo fancy, but the decorating part is pretty easy.

I did remember from making it a couple of years ago that the cake seems kind of dry with just the pile of cherry pie filling and whipped cream. So before I put that on it, I made a chocolate glaze to coat the two cake halves. It turned out to be just what it needed to give it some moisture without a thick layer of frosting. You can see that I forgot to put wax paper strips underneath while I was spreading the glaze. Whoops.

11 Likes

mercy goodness gracious! Your son is brilliant for requesting such an awesome cake! I love schwartzwalde kirsch torte!

2 Likes

Looks delicious! It’s one of my favourites too.

2 Likes

Oh my goodness that looks delicious!

3 Likes

Looks so yummy!

2 Likes

Yummmm! This is my oldest’s go-to cake for his birthday, too!!

1 Like

Are there any cherries in the middle? Looks yummy!

1 Like

Oh Yum! That looks so good and you did a great job decorating!

2 Likes

This needs to live in my belly.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone!

@bethntim Breaking out the German, nice!

@Bunny1kenobi I wouldn’t be sad if my son stuck with this from here on out!

@Subee Yes, there are cherries between the cake layers, too. You just can’t see them for the line of whipped cream around the edge. :slight_smile:

:laughing: It made my belly happy. I ate the last tiny piece yesterday after lunch. I figured it was the baker’s tax for having made it. :smiley:

3 Likes