Black Sparkle Cable Knit Hat

This was made for my MIL’s best friend, Bernice, who had requested a hat made by me. She wears black often and loves anything sparkly. In this year of trying to use only my stash, I was determined to meet the parameters without buying anything. I used some discontinued “tube” yarn that is for making the scrunchy scarves. It was the only black yarn I had that was sparkly. I unraveled the tube into its 4 strands and then knit the hat using the 4 strands held together. The pattern of the cables are not very visible due to the yarn texture and sparkles. I could have used a simpler pattern.
Pattern is “Cable Convergence” by Universal Yarn. It can be found still on Ravelry for free, but is no longer on the UY website. Yarn is Mondial Malizia. Discontinued many moons ago, but if you have it in your stash, here’s an idea for using it.

Finished Hat

Tube yarn before unraveling.

Tube yarn in process of being unraveled onto my chopstick “spindles”.

13 Likes

I had no idea that the tube yarn could be separated like this! Marvelous idea to make use of it if you had no plans for it.

The hat turned out nice! You might not see the cables well, but they do provide a nice texture for the hat. I am sure your friend is going to love it!

3 Likes

Yes, the scrunchy scarves are not my style, but the tubes were on clearance some time ago at Tuesday Morning for $1.17 each. My frugal self could not pass them up. I had no idea you could do it either until I saw a post from a knitter on Rav who had unraveled a different one and had made a lace weight sweater from the strands. Some of the tubes are one long strand, some are multiple strands.

3 Likes

Pretty! And clearly a lot of work!

2 Likes

The prep work took a little time and patience, but once I got going it took less time than I had anticipated.

3 Likes

Wow! You totally transformed that yarn!

2 Likes

Love the hat! So much better than anything you could have made with the yarn in its original form.

2 Likes

The end result is gorgeous! I never would have given that odd yarn a second glance, but you saw its potential!

3 Likes

Now thats commitment to using stash! The hat turned out great. I hope Bernice likes it (love her name BTW) and gets lot of use out of it.

2 Likes

A great plan! Ridiculous how much new, salvaged and reclaimed stuff keeps building up! :smile:

I don’t knit, I crochet but I learned some things.

Your gift was extra special because of this! Nice hat and pompom!

1 Like

Whoa, this is 2 projects. Deconstruct then reconstruct! I sure hope she loves it, turned out great.

Ha! I didn’t think about it that way. Yes, she liked it and was able to use it once before our hot weather came.

1 Like