Book and Frog Fail

I had this fun idea to make a cute little frog for a swap. That idea did not manifest. LOL! I had the hardest time with this pattern (too tiny of arms and legs to flip), and I wasn’t happy with any of the store’s fabric choices. It didn’t want to sew right. It was a mess.

So, instead, I decided to make some cute little miniature books. That, too, was a failure. I bought a pattern and made the books, but they didn’t fit. I reprinted them on another computer, thinking I had messed up on the size. Nope, same issue. I contacted the seller; they suggested paperweight and stuff like that. I kept looking the review pics and they looked amazing for everyone else. I was feeling very incompetent. After 5 messages back and forth, the seller tried it and found the covers were the wrong size. Then how did all the other people make it work for their reviews? Completely suspicious!!! Anywhoo, they added @curiousfae 's name to the book when they remade it to actually fir the pattern. I literally made these books 7 times. Ugh.

I used Curiousfaes pics for the first two. I was so done with this project that I didn’t take proper pics. LOL! I sent these just to get them out of my house and made her another item for her actual swap item. Ha!.

24 Likes

Well I would have no idea these projects gave you problems. They are super cute and well done!

4 Likes

I’m sorry the projects were so frustrating, but I think they turned out great! Both projects are adorable, but I particularly love the books. (Also, fake reviews are super annoying, I hate it when something clearly has a manufacturing error or is otherwise obviously flawed or unusual and no one mentions it.)

2 Likes

What a frustrating journey! Good for you for sticking it out with the seller and I guess good for them for finally recognizing the error and not only fixing it, but customizing it for your troubles. The frog is also adorable, so hopefully someday soon you’ll be able to forgive and love it. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I concur. I wouldn’t have guessed that you had issues with these. I love the long frog limbs and the book is darling. It has real tiny pages! How did you get the weathered look? Did they print that way or did you use some stamp ink or teabag drippings or…?

2 Likes

Printed that way. Once it worked, the pattern was nice.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s some nice, subtle printing! I don’t understand how other people gave the pattern such high marks. I had a somewhat similar issue with an item I purchased on Etsy. There was a typo in a printable sheet and apparently no one caught it. I messaged the seller, she remedied the problem and even refunded my purchase. It was not a big deal to me because I wasn’t using that part of the sheet, but sometimes I think about people that put it on their cards and didn’t notice.

3 Likes

They offered two spine sizes depending on if you were using printer paper or cardstock. The smallest spine was over twice as big as the finished pages. I debated putting both books in one, but even that was too big.

2 Likes

both projects look adorable!
well done (but sorry to read about the re-doing & re-doing…frustrating, I know!)

2 Likes

I think these both turned out really cute in the end. Good for you, sticking it out. I’d consider these both a success but I do understand that “get this out of my house” mindset (as you know)….

1 Like

Everything turned out so cute tho, all super cute. I just know she loved it. How could she not?

1 Like

I read the title then saw the pictures and was thinking, “How is this a fail?!?! They look so great!” Then later understood when I went on to read about your struggles. You’ve really been of great service to future buyers, by spurring that seller to correct the pattern.

2 Likes

They all look super cute but it sounds frustrating.

I LOL’d about sending them just to get them out of your house

2 Likes

Sorry about the problems you had, but, the final results look good to me. Sometimes the torment one goes through to create something makes it more dear to us!

2 Likes

Froggy is fine! I know you retain frustration :slight_smile: but the long floppy limbs are cute & the fabric looks fine in photos.

The book struggles though, UFF DA. So aggravating!

1 Like

Bless your troubles. We prolly all have had those issues. I for one though don’t come out as pleasant as you seem to be.

Ribbet

1 Like

Your frog is adorable!!!

1 Like

I understand the frustration when making things that go wonky. It leaves you crazy! But honestly, this is one of the cutest things I’ve ever had someone make me. She will be sitting on my shelf and reading her books right beside me while I craft. I love her!

3 Likes

Im glad she found a home that enjoys her!

2 Likes