Book of Mysteries

This is the bare bones beginnings of a junk journal, loosely based on one of my favorite TV shows, The X-Files. Since the show covered so many topics - aliens, government conspiracies, origin of the species, aberrant human behavior, psychic abilities, baseball, mutants and cryptids, vampires, etc. - I figured I could include almost anything in this journal and not be too off-topic.

There’s not much to it, yet, but I’ll add more pictures as I embellish the pages. It’s roughly 9" x 7" x 3", with a very loose binding to allow for a lot of expansion. There are 7 signatures, set up like file folders (case files, lol), and 126 sheets/252 pages. The pages are a random assortment of mixed media paper (plain and ‘stained’ with watercolors), craft paper splattered with paint and warped by water, and printable journal sheets on unbleached paper. The signature covers are from an old wall calendar of star-filled night skies.

The cover is scraps of leather, stitched together with waxed hemp in little Xs, secured by a thicker, waxed and braided hemp cord.

26 Likes

OOooOOOOOOoooooo! This is soooo cooool! I love how even the cover is scrappy, but it’s still holding to a theme. EEP! I can’t wait to see the pages you make.

2 Likes

This is so neat!! I really like how you’ve set it up with the different file folders. Do you plan to loosely separate subject matter into the different folders?

The whole thing looks really well made. I like the stitched x’s. Did you have a small punch to make the holes for the stitching?

I hope you share pictures as you fill it up!

2 Likes

Thanks!

I just use an awl to punch holes and eye the spacing. I know they make nice punch tools that will give you perfectly even spacing, but that wouldn’t really work on curved edges and wasn’t the look I was going for.

I may organize the mysteries I add in to the book by ‘file folder.’ I thought it would be fun to write down snippets of conspiracy theories, info on cryptids, weird news stories, symbols, prophecies, etc. in this book. The world is a weird place.

4 Likes

I love it!

1 Like

Wow! This is incredible. I can just imagine all the thoughts and imagination that will be capture within this book

2 Likes

Thanks! I actually find it much easier to write in a junk journal than in a regular journal (I have another one just for quotes, prayers, and words of wisdom). Maybe it’s because the format is as chaotic and random as my brain is, and it’s intensely visual . :person_shrugging: Either way, I still collect and hoard journals of all sorts.

3 Likes

That looks amazing! I can’t wait to see some of your interior spreads as you complete them!

1 Like

I love this! And I just started re-watching the series because there was nothing on. You’re going to have fun filling all those pages.

1 Like

:star_struck:
This is truly awesome! The cover is so cool; my hands hurt just looking at it, though. I find leather so hard to stitch.

2 Likes

Thanks!

My fingertips are still sore, despite using a thimble. :joy:

I’m rewatching the series now, too! I’m almost halfway through season 2. This time around, I’m taking notes on all the weirdness.

3 Likes

Oh, isn’t that just incredible. Wow, well done you. Such an object of wonder & discovery, it’s going to just get better & better over the years. Cool!

1 Like

You had my mind blown with the outside cover. Incredible project.

1 Like

:sparkles: :flying_saucer: :open_book: Congratulations! Your Book of Mysteries is a Featured Project this week! :open_book: :flying_saucer: :sparkles:

3 Likes

What a fun topic for a junk book! You’ve got a wonderfully made base to inspire you.

1 Like

Gorgeous, the cover especially! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Oh my word. This is just amazing! Everything is so well made.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone!

1 Like

Absolutely stunning! It looks like it could be a movie prop! :star_struck: I love all the tattered edges and the pieces that make up the cover. Amazing!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like