Bookmark of blunt inspiration (language nsfw)

Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?
—Mary Oliver

This poem excerpt really drives my living. For me it’s about the mindful and beneficial use of time and energy, with awareness of our shared condition of mortality.
But sometimes it takes hearing something differently for the message to sink in. So amidst a year of examining what matters to me and what doesn’t, the lovely poem was morphed for me into this shorthand mantra that phrases it in the negative:

I love how each of us has a different mental picture of what this refers to. And it doesn’t matter, because we can all relate to the need to get our priorities straight and clear out what no longer serves us. Once an acquaintance who I hadn’t seen in months gave me a knowing look and said she was “getting away from all the bullshit.” I realize now that I had no idea what she was specifically referring to, but at the same time I totally understood her in that moment. As long as we don’t disclose how we define “that shit”, it’s something we can all agree on!

I dyed the cloth in the dye bath of a larger project (it was originally a bland ecru, and it’s more vivid in person), and played with a bunch of stitches. I ripped out many more along the way. I realized near the completion that the whites don’t match up, but as the stitching says…Life (and more specifically, my ability to discern shades of white) is passing too quickly to be concerned about it. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

25 Likes

Hear hear!

1 Like

Yeah, baby! Words out my mouth, exactly.
I love all the different teensy stitches. This project is yummy!

2 Likes

Spectacular, this makes me smile :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, Ma’am! This is so great, because it’s so true.

1 Like

Truth! This is the best.

1 Like

Preach! Love it

1 Like

Right on, lady! :fist:

1 Like

So very true! We all have our version of it!

I also like the old saying, “Life is short, eat dessert first.” Which is why I’m fluffy, and never short of sugary snacks. :wink:

3 Likes

Yessss!!! Love it.

1 Like

So very very true! I love it.

1 Like

Thanks! This week I went looking for the past “Terribly Important SOB” Swap, and found that @racky had crafted a variation on this ever-timely theme, which is near the top the gallery:
https://web.archive.org/web/20151031172917/http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=search2;topic=371967.0;search=img;show_complete=true;sort=ID_MSG|desc

Haha, too funny! That’s some ancient history there. Love your bookmark!

1 Like