Boxing Day Breakfast Casserole (w/ sausage, egg, cheese & cornbread stuffing)

We hosted Christmas this year, and it was wonderful to have our new house filled with family for the holidays. For breakfast this morning, I made a lovely brunch of fruit, cinnamon rolls, mimosas, and a breakfast casserole made with sausage, egg, cheese and cornbread stuffing. I was able to prep the stuffing and sausage last night, and layer them into the casserole dish. Then this morning I whisked the eggs and cheese, poured it on top and popped it in the oven for 50 minutes. It was incredibly easy, and totally delicious. The recipe was a hybrid of several different ones that I found online, so here’s mine.

You can adjust this to serve 10-12 people.

Ingredients
1 medium onion
1 bag Pepperidge Farm Cornbread Stuffing (12 servings bag)
4 Tablespoons butter
2 cups Vegetable broth
1 pound ground Breakfast Sausage (you could totally use a vegan substitute!)
1 - 1.5 Cups shredded Sharp Cheddar
10-12 Eggs
1/2 cup Milk of choice (I used cashew milk)
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
Salt and pepper
Olive oil

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Prep the cornbread stuffing:
Dice the onion. Saute lightly in a drizzle of olive oil, till just starting to brown. Then add the 4 T butter, and melt. Add in the 2 cups of broth and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and pour in the dry stuffing mix. Stir gently till all the dry stuffing is moistened. If you wish to serve 8-10 people, place 3/4 of the stuffing into the bottom of a casserole dish, and save the rest for another purpose. If you want to serve 12+, use all of the stuffing in an extra large baking pan.

Brown the sausage. Sprinkle the sausage over the stuffing. At this point you can cover the dish and put it in the fridge for the next day, or keep going to cook it now.

Sprinkle on half of the cheese.

Whisk the eggs, along with the milk, garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper. Once well blended, stir in the rest of the cheese. Pour the whole lot on top of the stuffing and sausage layers. (If serving 8-10, use 10 eggs. If serving 12+, use 12 eggs, and add a bit more milk.)

Bake for 45-55 minutes, until golden brown and delicious.

7 Likes

What a great way to roll into The Day After!

1 Like

Mmmm…cornbread stuffing in anything is amazing and an easy breakfast is always a win!

1 Like

@Abbeeroad, you could totally do with is Impossible Savory sausage, and liquid egg white…

1 Like

Yummmm! I’ll have to pass this recipe on to my hubby. I could see him really digging this!

1 Like