Bright Hawaiian print skirt

I got this dress from my mother in law a million years ago, before she passed away. I love the print (which is why she gave it to me) but the top never would have fit.

Seriously, the top placket was less than 32" in diameter- smaller than my band size. It did have a generous flowy bottom and back that was made with large pleats.

So I picked out a lot of seams and reconstructed it into a long skirt. It is about 26" inches in length, from wait to bottom, after all the hemming.

I made simple elastic waist band and the front is made with 2 smaller panels. I originally wanted to make this up into the burda style pattern “schnitt” but couldn’t find a way to make that work with the seaming already in place.

It’s super comfy and I’m hoping I’ll eventually get to go back to the office and burn my coworker’s eyes with the florescent pink and orange. :rofl:

24 Likes

I love it! All my favourite colours in one piece of clothing :heart_eyes: and a brilliant idea to repurpose this wonderful gift into something that you can actually wear.

1 Like

Wonderful repurpose! I love those happy colors…

1 Like

It looks great!

1 Like

Such happy colors! You did a great job.

1 Like

This skirt just screams, “SUMMER!!!”

I love it!!

1 Like

That looks so great! I read “Hawaiian print shirt”, but I think that must’ve just been wishful thinking. I would love an aloha shirt of that fabric!

1 Like

I would wear that to check the mail! Great repurpose of it and the colors are awesome

1 Like

Congrats! Your Bright Hawaiian Print Skirt is one of this week’s featured projects. Way to go!

2 Likes

You’re a refashionista!
Nice job!

1 Like

That fabric is gorgeous and you really turned into something great-for-you!

1 Like

Super fun skirt. It’s a sweet reminder of your mother in law too.

1 Like

That fabric is everything! That is the perfect summer skirt.

1 Like

THANKS! I should probably add more pics!!

Here are a couple more detail shots of the skirt.

4 Likes

Oh, my! It’s lovely. My Grandmother and her sisters also had some similar clothing from their time living in Hawaii (40’s and again in the 60-70’s), and I know exactly what kind of dress this was! Down to what the label looked like, although I don’t remember the actual brand name. I have one, too, that is so painfully tiny I will never be able to wear it (my BONES are literally too big for the dress). I haven’t had the heart to cut it apart yet, but maybe someday I will. Giving them a wonderful second life is important, and I love how bright and cheery it is as a summer skirt. Definitely a lovely memory to wear. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is absolutely gorgeous! I’m glad you were able to repurpose it!

1 Like

It is totally worth it! I think I have enough left to at least make the FRONT of a shirt and I have a mask in progress I made from the lining fabric of the top!

2 Likes

And here is the mask I made from scraps! Yeah!!

4 Likes