Bright, Old-School Loomed Potholders

My (admittedly, old) dollar-store potholders finally fell apart, so I bought one of those potholder looms like we had when I was a kid and created some new ones. Because really, those things did make the best potholders. I was at the mercy of the color selection of the loop sampler that came with the loom, but I was able to get a rainbow one (top) and one that kind of reminds me of the tropical Skittles color palette (bottom). Alas, the colors are a bit off in the photo; they’re brightening up my kitchen, though.

Now if they’d just make looms in an oven mitt shape I’d be set. Thanks for looking!

26 Likes

Oh my goodness. I remember the loom from when I was young. I spent many an afternoon making those! These are so fun.

1 Like

They bring back fond memories and are so pretty to boot!

1 Like

I always wanted to do that when I was a kid!

1 Like

I love these. I made a bunch last year. They are so easy and it is fun coming up with patterns. I like yours!

1 Like

I made so many of those when I was a kid! I wonder if I still have my kit around my parents’ house somewhere…

2 Likes

I love love love these! Haven’t seen this kind of loom in years!

1 Like

I remeber these from when I was a kid and then doing them with my children. I sent one to my grandson years ago. Love the colors you managed to tease out!

I love these! Especially the bottom one. I got a potholder loom and some hand dyed loopers last Christmas and they really do make the best potholders!

I wish I could have played more with the patterns, but it seemed like it had a few loops of a lot of colors rather than a lot of a few colors. But it’s crazy what you can do if you think about loop placement.

Pretty sure that’s what planted the idea in my head that these were still around! Not long after that I dug out the old plastic loom at my parents’ house and tried to finish the potholder-in-progress on it, even though said potholder was, conservatively, 15 years old and all the loops in the bag had been previously picked over. Suffice to say making these was a lot more fun.

1 Like

These are classic for a reason! I love your patterns and colors!

They look great! :smiley: Very cheery and nostalgic. You did a good job with consistent tension, too.

Oooh, I bet you could make one, though, by tracing the mitt shape you wanted on a plank of wood and hammering long nails around the outline (about as far apart as the pegs on the original looms). Then, make two “mitt” shaped potholders, one on top of the other without removing them; when you go to weave the loops around the edges at the very end, weave the loops in groups of two–one from the top potholder and one from the bottom one–as if you were working with only one loop.

1 Like

These are lovely. I have one of these looms too. I should get it out and play.

I used to make these all the time when I was a kid! You and @kittykill have just made me order a new loom and extra loops. Guess what everyone in my family will find in their stocking this Christmas.

2 Likes

I made a bunch last year and was so surprised at how happy people were with them. They bring back fun reminders of crafting as a kid.

1 Like

Congrats! Your Old School Loomed Potholders are one of this week’s featured projects. You are awesome!

1 Like

Woo hoo! Thank you!

These are still my favorite style if mitts, and I love your colors. I asked my nephew for these for Christmas one year, and it was the perfect, fun gift.

You could do to large, and crochet together around edges? It like how ECH suggested. Good stuff!

Oh wow! Would these work as oven mitts?

I think this size is probably a bit small for sandwiching two together to make a mitt; I don’t have giant hands, and these don’t quite cover my wrists. But this manufacturer makes a bigger loom size that might work for that. I think Erin is probably onto something. Maybe I’ll give that idea to my dad to chew over as a tinkering project :thinking:.

3 Likes