Broken Rib Cowl

This pattern showed up in my email as a free pattern. I had some alpaca yarn so I decided to give it a go. The gist of the pattern was every 10th or so row, you scooted over the rib so they would be crooked. Well, yeah, it you leave it flat and don’t wear it…once worn, you can’t see the pattern at all. Plus, it is too long and just bunches up under the chin…I love the color so I might just frog it and make something else…but, I do like trying interesting stitches to see if I can use them down the road…like maybe for a scarf or a hat…

9 Likes

I like the color and the ribbing! Sorry you’re not thrilled with it, though.

1 Like

You never know until you try out a pattern and see how it works…at least it is nice and soft!

3 Likes

It looks pretty but I get it if it just doesn’t seem functional to you. How about gathering the edge nearest the broken rib part and making it a hat with a f old up brim?

3 Likes

That might actually work! Thanks! I will try it in the morning…I have a tiny bit of yarn left to gather up one end…let me see if it fits my head…it might be a bit big…but still worth a shot!

1 Like

It looks lovely to me.
If it’s too long, you could fold it in half and have an extra warm cowl.

Yes…but I live at the beach and it never gets that cold…and, it does not fit as a hat as I had hoped…since it is alpaca wool that my sister got for me from Peru, I am probably going to frog it and make something else…

Love the colour, but I get your point about the pattern not working for this cowl. It folds and it doesn’t show much of the pattern.

Yes, sometimes you must try a pattern to see how it works out. And sometimes another type of yarn works better, but for this particular pattern I don’t think it matters.

The great thing about crochet is that you can easily unravel it. It happens to me more than once during a project, except it usually are just a few rows…

Thanks for sharing anyway Linda!

Much easier to see that a pattern is not going to work in crochet…at least it kept my hands busy while I was watching tv…I loved the feel of it, so soft…hope it is each to undo!

I did find one more skein at the bottom of my bin, so I think I can make a nice scarf with the yarn…maybe for my sister who gave it to me! I think it would be pretty in that heart pattern you shared with us!

1 Like

Oh that is a nice pattern to crochet! I kept the chart at hand, because the rows vary. Not very complicated, so I could watch tv too haha.

1 Like

It looks so soft and warm!

1 Like

So sorry it didn’t work out, but making a cowl is a great idea for alpaca since it is so snuggly.

1 Like