Bubblegum Machine Cake

Kiddo turned six yesterday and requested a bubblegum machine cake. He was slightly disappointed that it didn’t function, but the surprise interior kind of made up for it.

The cake base was an $2 plastic candy vessel from a party store that I painted the inside green with acrylic paint. The outside coin mechanism was fondant that I rolled and cut/stamped with cookie cutters and added details with icing tips as stamps. I painted it with dark gray luster dust mixed with orange extract since it was the only flavoring I had that listed alcohol instead of water. The top of the bubblegum bowl was created the same way.

The inside was so. much. cake. It was the equivalent of three cake mixes. I baked a bunch of small spheres in rainbow colors then layered them in the hemisphere pans with a full white cake recipe. They’re stacked and iced together, but I made sure to add sturdy dowels in the base layer and a cardboard cake board in the middle. It made a huge difference.

Kiddo was happy, but so tired by the time we ate cake (after a full day of playing with his brother and cousins who we haven’t seen since last Halloween) that he barely managed a few bites.

28 Likes

This is the best most wonderful cake EVER! I happen to adore old timey bubble gum machines, I don’t know why but I do. Fabulous work, mom, really top notch!

2 Likes

OMG this is truly incredible!

1 Like

So cool!

1 Like

A cake full of wonder! Your exterior details are so great and what a treat that the inside is so special, too!

1 Like

What a surprise! You knocked this outta the park!

1 Like

Wow, what a fantastic surprise inside! Must have been a crazy amount of work. Amazing result!

1 Like

So fun! I love the details on the topper and mechanism.

1 Like

Wow, that’s super impressive!!

1 Like

This is just the coolest! You seriously need to be on one of those cake bake off shows.

1 Like

This is so cool! It sounds like the kiddo had a great birthday :smiley:

1 Like

Wow! I love this! I knew this was one of yours from the thumbnail!

PS will you be my mom, too? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

:cowboy_hat_face: YeeeEEEE-HAW! Your handmade goodness is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :fireworks:

2 Likes

I love the ‘bubblegum’ inside!! What a great added detail that really takes the cake to the next level! This cake is AMAZING!!

1 Like

Oh my stars, this is fantastic!!

1 Like

I knew it was reminding me of something - it’s a showstopper cake! Like when GBBO contestants have to bake a cake with a surprise inside, or make it stand up, etc. You combined multiple categories into one! :star_struck: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Agree with @Magpie that this is truly the best cake ever. What a lot of creativity and ingenuity you used in not only the construction but the design…with those cake gumballs inside?! It’s really amazing!

1 Like

Wowza! I thought the outside with a round cake was impressive, then I saw that inside. You are one dedicated mom for doing all that. I feel like I am going all out when I spring for the ice cream cake. Ha! Absolutely the best cake I have ever seen!

3 Likes