Bufflehead ATC

I’ve been trying to draw a bit more lately, so when I saw that one of @thanate’s requested ATC themes was “North American plants and wildlife,” I decided to draw one of the birds I often see from my own window (although using a still image as a reference, since the ducks here are neither close nor still enough for me to draw from). I’m pretty happy with how this came out!

24 Likes

I had to look that bird up. I think Bufflehead is a perfect description of its head. Lol! You did a lovely job! I especially like the iridescent coloring near its neck. I think that’d be hard to do with colored pencil!

On another note…the ATC swap this month has me doing art I haven’t done in 3+ years. It’s definitely motivation to break out the art supplies. It’s fun to have a reason to do it.

3 Likes

Buffleheads are the cutest little ducks. You captured them well.

1 Like

Wow, this is really pretty! You did an especially great job with the bright colors!

1 Like

I never heard of this duck. I love the bright colors on his head!

1 Like

Thanks everyone! :slight_smile: To be honest, I’d never really realized it had all those colors on its head until I looked it up to find some pictures to use as a reference. From the distance I see them (maybe around ten yards?) they just look black and white. But they’re really little compared to the other ducks, and the white especially really stands out, so they’re easy to spot. And when they dive, they stay under for a long time! They’re one of my favorite birds to watch around here, although we do have a great variety. Yesterday I saw two blue herons just flying in wide circles over the house!

2 Likes

So adorable!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Fantastic job on mixing the colors!

1 Like

Really well done! The colors are lovely!

1 Like

It’s so tiny and cute!

1 Like