Burned board for Charlotte's window

My dad has been working hard to finish painting and decorating my nieces room while she’s away on vacation. The window in her room had no framing, so he decided to make one from poplar. After cutting and sanding down all of the pieces, he put them up around the window and then sent me this photo

“Do you think you could burn Charlotte’s name into that bottom board? I think that would be a great touch!”

Of course I said yes! He took the entire frame off (he’s decided he’s going to stain the wood, not just paint it), and he gave me the larger bottom board to burn.

I finished burning it this morning, and hopefully he’ll have it stained and finished so that it’s up by tomorrow night when she gets home. He’s already painted the wall a pale purple color, and once he gets the stained and hung bottom panel I burned put back on the wall, I will share a picture of the entirely completed project. It’s fun doing collaborations!

Poplar is so far my favorite wood to burn. Here is a progress shot:

I found a font I liked (perfectly named Charlotte, too!) and using the measurements for the burnable space (36 inches long by 6 inches high) I sized the font to the right height and printed it out on several pages of paper. I then taped the pages together so that I could have one large stencil, carefully centered it on the board, and used carbon paper to trace the design onto the wood.

Does anyone know of another way to transfer a design onto wood?!

This doesn’t feel like the easiest way to go about it. I mean, it works just fine, it’s just super time consuming. If this is the best way, I can live with that. It really isn’t hard to do. Like I said, it’s just time consuming. The biggest drawback to it is that if the carbon paper smudges onto the wood, it won’t erase. The only way to get rid of smudged spots that I’ve found to work is to sand it down with a fine grit paper.

Anyway, thanks for looking!

ETA: my dad stained it already and has it up!

18 Likes

This is going to look awesome!

You can make “carbon” paper by thoroughly covering the lines on a design with pencil, on the back of the paper. Then lay it on your project and trace over the letters in the front. (Does that make sense?) You should be able to erase mistakes with a regular pencil eraser.

3 Likes

Oh, I bet she’s going to be so excited with her updated room! This is just great and a great collab, too!

1 Like

She picked her theme. I made a bunch of underwater creatures for her to decorate her room with, my dad got her a huge undersea decal to put on the wall, and my mom picked out bedding for her. She will definitely be happy to walk into her room and see it finished. I wish I could see the look on her face when she walks in and sees it.

2 Likes

If you have a small projector you can skip the stencil. Have the words/picture up on your screen, send to the projector, point at project. You can resize either on your screen or by moving the projector. Then trace/outline directly on your project.

Love the font and it came out great!

1 Like

Beautiful job and I love the font.

I used to use graphite paper for wood projects. It erased easily and you aren’t left with smudges like you get with carbon paper.

2 Likes

Thanks, everyone! I did update with a (nearly) finished photo. He’ll wait to put on the sealing coat until after Charlotte sees it since it will take a little longer to dry. I love how it turned out! :hearts:

1 Like

I ended up being the one to put the sealant on this afternoon. I absolutely love her new room. I will try to get a photo once the bed is made and everything is finished up, and I’ll post it over in my sea creature menagerie post, as I’ll be getting shots of those sea creatures up around her room :hearts:

6 Likes

She’s such a sweet kid! I’m so excited for her to have such an awesome room!

1 Like

It looks fabulous! Wow!

1 Like

That really looks great! I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of the photos & hearing about her reaction.

1 Like

If you use a lazer printer, you can heat-transfer (iron) the design on.

2 Likes

:heart_eyes_cat: Well, lookie there! Your awesome craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :rainbow:

1 Like

That’s just adorable! How sweet!
In the past I’ve run into the same issue with woodburning and the lines. I recently just ended up tracing the design with a dull pencil hard enough to make an imprint into the wood. It’s going to get woodburnt there anyway, so I figure that it works. I guess this would depend upon the hardness of your wood, but has worked for me on softer varieties.

2 Likes

Thank you! What a lovely birthday surprise :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes