Buttercream bouquet

I have been wanting to tackle icing/frosting flowers for a while now, but have always been intimidated by flower nails and Wilton courses. Someone I follow on Instagram for forever (who posts exceptionally dreamy photos and seems a kind soul) recently posted a stunning cake and explained she had followed a course by Leslie Vigil (buttercream botanicals 102). I love Leslie’s cakes (I follow her too), and the endorsement was the kick in the pants to buy the course and try rather than wish. I’m still very much learning, and I need lots of practice to figure out peonies and make ranunculuses that actually resemble ranunculuses, but I was thrilled with the results (and Leslie’s cheater Swiss meringue buttercream recipe that was quite delicious and easy to make). Totally worth the cost!

I just made a one-layer 8 inch cake and arranged the frozen flowers on the naked layer, but I’m not the biggest frosting fan. I think they’ll look pretty as they warm up and wilt a bit. The colors in the photos below are more true to life since I took them in sunlight-but they really do photograph quite well. I’d wager to say they’re actually prettier there than in real life!

24 Likes

These are lovely. Such pretty flowers!! Buttercream is my personal favorite type of icing.

2 Likes

They look very attractive and yummy too!

1 Like

They look fabulous, very professional

1 Like

Wow, those are great! If you hadn’t said what they were made of, I never would have guessed icing, maybe paper but not icing.

I really like the last photo, from the side.

2 Likes

Yay for investing in yourself! Looks like you passed the course with flying colors to me!

1 Like

This is sooooo pretty. It looks like something you would see on the cover of a magazine. Stunning!!!

2 Likes

My goodness, these are pretty! You’re well on your way to mastering icing flowers! Very well. And congratulations on conquering your intimidation!

2 Likes

ooooh, pretty!
I watch a lot of baking shows, and would love to be able to do this. (But carbs are not my friends, so I resist the temptation to learn).
I especially like the green-red ones, they look like succulents.

1 Like

Wow! This is fantastic. Looks beautiful, and delicious!

1 Like

Holy cow, that’s beautiful! Can you come decorate my birthday cake? :grin:

2 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

Gorgeous! Yay, you trying a new thing. Turned out so good.

1 Like

These are amazing! They look like a painting!

1 Like

:herb: Oh my giggles! Your lovely craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! Congratulations! :tulip:

1 Like

I love this. I’m so proud of you!!