Cabbage Pie

We had some leftover sausage (we’ve been using so much sausage lately!), cabbage, and potatoes we needed to use up before they went bad, and also some pastry we’d bought when we were craving quiche earlier, so I decided to try making a cabbage pie! I couldn’t find a recipe I liked online, so this is totally made up on the fly, but it turned out sooo hearty and tasty - really good comfort food!

I’ll try to write down the recipe as I remember making it.

2 pre-made pie crusts (for top and bottom of pie)
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 head cabbage, chopped
4 small potatoes, peeled and chopped into dice-sized cubes
1/2 lb kielbasa, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
1 Tbsp or more dried dill, to taste
salt and pepper to taste
scant 1/4 C flour
1/4 C butter
milk (sorry, didn’t measure)
scant C shredded mozzarella cheese

Saute onions, sausage, and cabbage in olive oil until vegetables are soft. Meanwhile, microwave potatoes for three minutes. Add potatoes, garlic, dill, salt, and pepper to veggie mix and continue sauteing until done.
Make a white sauce with the flour, butter, milk, and salt, and then add cheese until melted. Mix sauce with veggies and sausage.
Put bottom crust in a greased 9 inch pie pan, and fill with filling. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and slice air holes in the top.
Bake for ~50 minutes at 400. You may need to adjust this, as we ended up tweaking the baking temp and time a lot as we went along.

Anyway, it was totally improvised, but SO good!

5 Likes

Omigosh this sounds totally brilliant! My mouth is watering and I can’t wait to try this!

1 Like

Sounds yummy and I just love that you are making dishes to not waste food…so many recipes from the depression came from people wanting to use up every bit of food…we could use the lessons learned in that time…

I have never heard of cheese with cabbage, but, hey…cheese makes everything better!!! I googled it and now, I am in the zone with cheesy cabbage dishes! ha

2 Likes

We’ve been getting our groceries via curbside pick-up or delivery only, and sometimes we have to order a whole week in advance, so it’s often a little hard to plan meals when we don’t know what will be in stock when the order goes through. So we’ve been getting a little creative with the ingredients we have!

As for the cheese, I do love it with cabbage, but in this case there was just enough to give the white sauce a bit more consistency and flavor; it really wasn’t a very cheesy tasting dish.

1 Like

Please let me know if you do try it, and if you have any improvements! :slight_smile:

Cabbage and kielbasa? Yum!

1 Like

Speaking of not wasting food-my mom froze any veggies we didn’t eat at dinner and about every 6 months or so she would clean the freezer out of these little ziploc bags and make the most amazing vegetable soup, we’d eat on it for days, she would let it simmer on the stove allllllll day and it would be so good on those cold winter nights.

1 Like

We have been saving little bits of leftover veggies, meats, etc. as well…we have made some pretty awesome casseroles and soups as well…hubby loves to add dumplings or noodles if he wants a higher carb count as well…no food waste has always been part of our life but now it seems even more important since we also don’t know what is available…

2 Likes