Cajun Beef Stew

Our local grocery store holds cooking classes and gives out samples along with printed recipe cards. Some of the recipes are pretty complex, but this one seemed easy enough for me , plus, I had most of the ingredients on hand. They also offer short cuts and tips to make meal prep faster and easier for non-cooks like me. The ingredients used that day are also on sale and easy to find.

Recipe:
1-2 lbs boneless chuck roast, cubed - do it yourself or the butcher will do it for you
2 TBS + 1 tsp creole seasoning (I use Tony Chachereā€™s)
Canola oil
1 package frozen seasoning mix veggies (onion, green peppers, celery)
1/4 c. flour
12 oz. broth or dark beer (I used beer)
1 12 oz. can of diced tomatoes (I used garlic and onion flavor)

Brown the meat with 2 TBS. seasoning and oil in a large skillet with medium high heat. About 8 minutes.
Remove meat . Add veggies to the skillet with1 tsp. seasoning, using the juices to soften the veggies. About 3 minutes.
Add back the meat, throw in the beer or broth and the diced tomatoes. Mix flour with a bit of water to form a smooth paste. Add to skillet, stirring well.
When mixture boils, turn the heat down really low and let it simmer for about 1-2 hours until the meat is super tender.

Hubby wanted andouille sausage so I threw two pieces in while I prepared the yellow rice.

Serve with crusty French bread, a small side salad, and dinner is served.

Warning: this was a bit spicy! If you want, this can be made in the crock pot after you brown the meat.

Next time, I am going to throw in some frozen okra and leave out the flour (the okra should thicken it).

8 Likes

Ok, yum! Can we come for dinner? (& You said you couldnā€™t cook!)
And also, I want a grocery store that does that! Costco samples donā€™t count :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

When I was working, I lunch out was my main meal of the day and hubby cooked mostly on weekends so dinner was soup or leftovers, etc. Now that I am retired, I want to learn to cook simple mealsā€¦I can cook following a recipeā€¦I am not one of those gifted people that just know what goes with what, etc. ha ha even the sides were written on the recipe card so I can follow directions!

I have made about six meals that were posted hereā€¦friends who have tried something are the best recommendation for me!

1 Like

This looks delicious! Enjoy your cooking expeditions!

1 Like